Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant Duggleby London Irish Rifles

roger

Please can someone look on SDGW for 590624 Serjeant Digby Garton Duggleby. 1/18 London Regt.(london Irish Rifles.

He was killed as aresult of a trench raid in the Ypres salient 7th april 1917.

I have an account of the raid provided by the regimental museum of the London Irish and if anyone is interested I can copy it and e-mail to them.

In the description it mentions white metal shapes were worn on the back and chest. I have heard of these shapes being worn during the Battle of the Somme. Were they always white or were other colours used?

Regards,

Roger.

London Regt. 18th Bn (London Irish Rifles)

DUGGLEBY Digby Garton

Sergt.

e. Chelsea

r. Endsleigh

No. 590624

kia F&F 7/4/17

Cheers

Simon

That was quick Simon, thankyou very much. I was still trying to work out how to delete the post I stupidly repeated.

Forgive my ignorance but what does F&F mean?

Incidently his parents lived in Bridlington and he is commemorated in the church there.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Hi Roger,

F and F means France and Flanders. It indicates, in this case, the war zone he was killed in.

Best Regards

Peter.

Thanks Peter, It may have been sometime before I worked that out for myself!

Roger.

The only Digby Duggleby listed on the 1901 census was 10 years old, born in Broughton, Yorks and resident in Broughton, Yorkshire. His father was probably William Duggleby a farmer aged 60.

Although the SDGW may list his birth place as another I have often come across variations such as this. Sometimes on enlisting the soldiers just did not have any idea of where they were born so they said the same place name as where they lived. Sometimes they were disguising their full identities for reasons such as enlisting underage.

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle,

The CWGC states his father was William Duggleby, his mother was Hannah of 60 Wellington Road Bridlington Yorks.

I've also looked him up on the 1901 census and Broughton is just outside Malton, Yorks where I bought his 1914-15 Star.

My next question is, would his family have recieved this after his death and were the War Medal and Victory medals awarded to soldiers families who were killed.

Roger

As you have looked Digby up on the 1901 census then you will have found that there is also a Hannah 50 years old listed at Broughton (probably his mother) and a 21 year old, Myrtle who could have been his sister.

The family should have received a Memorial Plaque for Digby but as regards his medals, I am sure there is a more expert person out there who can explain further.

Regards

Myrtle

From my own experience, the details of where someone was from based upon SDGW and CWGC data should be treated with some degree of caution. For example, I know of one man for whom full details of his place of birth, enlistment and residence are given in SDGW but these are contradicted by the address he had in the 1918 Absent Voters List. I suppose familes still moved during the war years and it cannot always be assumed that a person's address on enlistment was the same as that two, three or four years later. Most of the time but not always. However, the CWGC sometimes information about the origins of an individual, such as son of ......., native of ......

As for the CWGC next of kin information, this relates to the family of the deceased not to him personally - and was recorded in many instances in the 1920's. As those who will have seen the number of widows who had remarried will know (e.g., Pte. John Smith husband of Mary Jones, formerly Smith, of......) circumstances did change.

It should be remembered that some men did not actually live in the places where their families did. There are many men whose names appear on memorials in my home town who did not actually live there. In some cases, this is because they had emigrated and their families back at home put their names on their local memorial. Whilst in other instances their families had moved away but still had their relatives' names put upon the memorial local to their new address.

Again from my own research, when women married men from outside the area, they often stayed with or went back home when their husband went to the war. When names of the fallen were collected, they submitted their husbands' names even though, the man himself might never have spent a day in the place where he was to be commemorated.

I'm sure this is all horribly familiar to those who've tried tracing the names from their local memorial!

Happy New Year and all that.

Jim

Jim's posting is a very good description of many of the variations that one comes across when researching War Memorials. I read it with a great deal of empathy.

Regarding the Duggleby family. When William and Hannah dealt with the the CWGC registration in the 1920s they would have been in their 80s and 70s respectively and therefore possibly retired in Bridlington ?

Regards

Myrtle

Roger:

Glad to be of help. SDGW records 39 members of 18/Londs kia between 6-8 April 1917. I could print you off a copy if you like. Let me have your snail mail address if it would be useful.

I'd love to read the trench raid account. Could you send it to

simonharveyfielding@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks!!

Simon

This action on 7th April 1917 was a large scale trench raid on positions at Verbrandenmoelen on the Bluff. Casualtes were quite heavy; some have graves in Bedford House Cemetery, the rest are on the Menin Gate.

Mathew Richardson wrote an article on it in a back issue of the WFA journal Stand To!, I seem to remember. (early ?90s)

Simon,

I've sent you the account of the raid please let me know if you've received it ok.

Just out of interest does anyone know who the German units were who opposed the raid. My account says "it was assumed that the Germans were expecting some form of attack and had reinforced their support line accordingly with fresh troops."

Roger.

• 2 years later...
Please can someone look on SDGW for  590624 Serjeant Digby Garton Duggleby. 1/18 London Regt.(london Irish Rifles.

He was killed as aresult of a trench raid in the Ypres salient 7th april 1917.

I have an account of the raid provided by the regimental museum of the London Irish and if anyone is interested I can copy it and e-mail to them.

In the description it mentions white metal shapes were worn on the back and chest. I have heard of these shapes being worn during the Battle of the Somme. Were they always white or were other colours used?

Regards,

Roger.

hello Roger

please see www.duggleby.info for more on the above I beleive his medals are held by another family memeber I am in touch with.

kind regards

Ellen Reid nee Duggleby

Hi Ellen

I'm just back at my computer after a month away at sea working. I have got awful lot of catching up to do but I will take a look at the Duggleby website and get back to you as soon as I can.

Roger.

• 1 month later...
I'm just back at my computer after a month away at sea working. I have got awful lot of catching up to do but I will take a look at the Duggleby website and get back to you as soon as I can.

Only just noticed this thread. Digby Duggleby has come up in my reasearch on Bridlington, although the only thing I can immediately add is that he appeared in the immediately post-war Roll of Honour published in the local Chronicle, with the Wellington Road address, and while it does seem likely that this was merely his parents' address, it would seem that they were already in the town.

There were also a couple of other lads with the same surname, but a different address: Roll of Honour - D. The "BFP" acronym for these two is the Bridlington Free Press newspaper, which published an RoH of those serving (i.e. not just killed or injured) progressively in 1916. Significantly, Digby wasn't included in this, so perhaps his parents moved to Brid between 1916 and 1919.

Only just noticed this thread.  Digby Duggleby has come up in my reasearch on Bridlington, although the only thing I can immediately add is that he appeared in the immediately post-war Roll of Honour published in the local Chronicle, with the Wellington Road address, and while it does seem likely that this was merely his parents' address, it would seem that they were already in the town.

There were also a couple of other lads with the same surname, but a different address: Roll of Honour - D.  The "BFP" acronym for these two is the Bridlington Free Press newspaper, which published an RoH of those serving (i.e. not just killed or injured) progressively in 1916.  Significantly, Digby wasn't included in this, so perhaps his parents moved to Brid between 1916 and 1919.

Hi Nick

The other 2 Dugglebys were my Grandfather (Dosdill) who was only just 17 when he joined up and my great Uncle (James Robert). I can give you a bit more info on all 3 Dugglebys as I have been researching ALL Dugglebys. Please send me an email to ellen@duggleby.info

Also I see you mention Dales, Dalby and Deightons amongst others, these are also my family members for whom I have some information.

Elly

kind regards