Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Brodie RNR.. No 6469/A

jaywalker

I hope someone can help me, I have been tracing my family tree and have come to a halt on L/S John Brodie.. He died at HMS Vivid on 3/10/1918 but is buried at Campbeltown in Argyll.. I cannot find out how he died, and was it common at that time to transport a body over that distance, (or is my information wrong). Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello Jaywalker, and welcome to the Forum. HMS Vivid was the naval base at Devonport (Plymouth). Men who died onshore in the UK were generally buried in the place where they died, but could be returned to their home town (or elsewhere) for burial if their family paid the costs.

Name: BRODIE, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Vivid."

Date of Death: 03/10/1918

Service No: 6469/A

Additional information: Son of Neil and Mary Brodie, of Horn Cottage, Campbeltown.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Old Chyd. Div.

Cemetery: CAMPBELTOWN (KILKERRAN) CEMETERY

His death certificate should tell you the cause of death and where he died.

Mick

Hello

John was another victim of the Spanish influenza.

All best

don

Hi again, Thanks very much for the replies, the first post I already had info on and I suspected that flu would have been the probable cause of death. On browsing the forum today I have noticed links to the national archives but cant find anything about John, I would appreciate any help on navigating on this site (i'm not that au fait with computers I'm afraid). Also how do you access the MIC sites? I'm still very surprised that it was not too unusual for bodies to be transported around the country at that time, given the national circumstances, distance and time involved. I would be very interested in finding his service records and his death cert in particular... Thanks in advance... JIM.

Jim, There are no MICs for naval personnel. You have to visit the NA to search their microfilm medal rolls. The original RNR Record Cards are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum but copies (sometimes difficult to read) are on film at the NA.

H2,

I had a look earlier for John Brodie on the NA online Register of Seamen's Services, but couldn't find anything. Is that because the RNR records aren't part of the Register, or was I doing something wrong?

best

Mick

Mick, I think that is because the NA on-line Register of Seamen's Services is for Royal Navy "regular servicemen", hence reserves are not included. That said the RND record cards (RNVR) are now on-line.

Cheers

H2

H2,

I thought so. I searched and found an RNVR man I know of who served in the RND, but searches on John Brodie, J Brodie and even just Brodie only produced records some years before 1900.

Mick