Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing R.A.F. men

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I know how to get a M.I.C. to a soldier but how do I find info on an R.A.F. bloke.

235170 A.C.1 W.G. YORK R.A.F.

Many thanks on any info on him but would really love to know how to go about finding info on other R.A.F. or R.F.C. chaps.

Kevin

I know how to get a M.I.C. to a soldier but how do I find info on an R.A.F. bloke.

235170 A.C.1 W.G. YORK R.A.F.

Many thanks on any info on him but would really love to know how to go about finding info on other R.A.F. or R.F.C. chaps.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

York,William Girton was originally an RNAS man

He enlisted as an Aircraftsman 2nd Class Official No F35170 in the RNAS on 8th August 1917 with trade of labourer

He was promoted to Aircraftsman 1st Class on 8th February 1918 (automatically after 6 months service)

He became a Private 1st Class RAF Official Number 235170 on 1st April 1918

He was born 9th April 1883 at Northampton

He was serving at Dunkirk in October 1917 where he is recorded as having reported sick.

I'm afraid I cannot help with RFC or RAF matters as my field of knowledge is RNAS

Regards Duncan

I was tracing an RAF man any possibility you have seen my post on another thread 1st AM Farmer

Some pals certainly seem to have the knack with this info I tend to wander round aimlessly looking and get distracted by other interesting tidbits easily :unsure:

Just reread your post only if he was in the RNAS and trensfereed naturally ;):blink:

I am also interested in a couple of RAF men. Are their service records getatable without going all the way down south? I know the RFC men’s service records are with the normal army ones, but the RAF have their own.

Tony.

Hello,

RFC men who transferred to the RAF and RAF servicemen's records of service are at Kew in original document form in class list Air 79, sorted by service number: -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...se&MARKER=0

to

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...E&MARKER=-1

More information on them here: -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...p?sLeafletID=60

Last week I photographed the attestation paper of an RFC soldier who was killed in action on 21/10/16. This was in AIR 79/127.

Regards

Farmer

'Airmen Died in the Great War' (ISBN0 903754 45 2) is an excellent book - it does what it says on the cover. No help with survivors though.

Roy

The other source for information is the RAF Museum. They can be contacted at www.rafmuseum.org

Their archives can be visited by prior appointment made in writing. I have recently been very successful in finding my grandfather's casualty record from 1918 and further details of his training.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...