Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How rare was a "BOY" rank?

Mercian Volunteer

I have been doing some searches on the MICs database and have discovered several soldiers within the Cheshire Regiment with the rank of BOY! This represent just a handful with this rank out of 35 Battalions of the Cheshire Regiment formed during the Great War Would this rank be on his medal entitlement? A random search looking at other regiments give some surprise results! Try your favourite and see what you uncover!

Steve :huh:

An army boy became a man at 18 yrs, and his pay went from 8d a day to 12d.

Boys enlisted for band, drums, pipes, bugles or as a trumpeter were eligible for active service with their CO's agrement.

the two youngest territorials who served on gallipoli were boy soldiers,they were already serving when the war started and sailed with their batt to egypt along with their father who was the longest serving member of the batt,boy 2070 james boocock,boy 2069 alfred boocock and their father CQMS,5 george boocock,all three served on gallipoli,the two boys did the same duties as the rest of the men and no special privalages were shown to them because of their age,according to the ledgendary QM of the 9th manchesters,major connery,both lads wouldnt have it any other way,young alfie carried ammo and supllies up to the front lines, under fire all the time,when he was taken sick,he had to be ordered to go to malta,he tried to return,but was ordered home to england,he was 15yrs old,all 3 survived,bernard

Steve,

I've e-mailed you.

Bernard,

Have a look at the Thread "James M. Marchbank, 8th Royal Scots"

George

HI George,

Some facinating stories there that could be told if only they were around to tell the tales!!!

Steve

PS:- Will be in touch next week

Slightly off...

My grandfather joined the Navy at 15 (I think) as a Boy Steward.

Joined in May 1914, good move grandad ;). Was on HMS Penelope when hit by a torpedo in 1915.