Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial tablet at Quadrilateral, Ginchy

Annette Burgoyne

Will anyone be visiting the Ginchy-Combles area this year, or as already visited the area and knows it well.

The 1st K.S.L.I.'s War Diary records that on 10th October 1916 a Memorial tablet was placed to the memory of the 4 officers, 3 non-commissioned and 24 men who fell during its successful assault on the Quadrilateral on 18/9/16. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IT STILL THERE OR DOES ONYONE KNOW OF ITS WHERE ABOUTS ?

The Battalion assaulted from positions along the Ginchy-Leuze Wood road, with its left flank resting on the Ginchy-Combles Railway, they took the Quadrilateral, and its final line ran from the 56th Div. flank at Middle Copse to road at map ref. T.15.d.5.5. then to the Ravine at about T.15. central.

Also does anyone have details of 2nd York & Lancs, who help by bombing up a trench on K.S.L.I.'s right flank and 14th D.L.I. who attacked on K.S.L.I.'s left, plus the 1/London Company R.E., who help dig-in.

Regards

Annette Burgoyne :rolleyes:

The battlefields were once littered with these memorials, placed by units while the war was still on. Today, very few survive - some were taken back to the UK in the 20s and 30s (the 47th Div cross from High Wood is at Chelsea Barracks, eg); others were 'lost'.

I am not sure what happened to this one, but can confirm it is not there. The only memorials are to the Guards and an individual Guards officer - and of course the nearby Dickens' Cross.

I once searched this area of the battlefield in depth for a private memorial to a London Regt men that is now lost - nothing else found except a forgotten French memorial in Lesboeufs communal cemetery.

Sorry to disppoint.

Thanks Paul, its sad that most of these Memorial Table are no longer where they were originally placed.

Regards

Annette Burgoyne

Annette,

Not much but "British Battalions on the Somme" gives,

2nd Yorks & Lancs - "In action at the Quadrilateral 18/9, bombed from the S/E, moving on right to Middle Copse and on to N/E corner of Bouleaux Wood.

Relieved to Morlancourt 19/9."

14th DLI - "Attack on the Quadrilateral 18/9, objective taken, relieved at night to Meaulte."