Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serving in different regiments

jim_davies

If a lad served in more than one particular regiment is this always recorded on his MIC and /or in his Soldiers Died entry ?

Not really knowing too much about the subject, I'd appreciate any insight offered.

From my own mearge experience I think not for the SD, and really don't know enough about MICs.

My thinking is largely based on looking at a couple of cases. For example in the 5/Connaught Rangers there were a large number of lads from Yorkshire. Many are recorded as "formerly etc" in SD, but just as many are not.

I've come across men who are listed as "formerly", whereas the bloke with the next number from the same town (for example Leeds, Sheffield etc) doesn't have any indication of any other service, and the next consectively numbered bloke is back to being "formerly..." (I hope that makes some sense).

Any ideas ?

Jim

For what it is worth I have looked at SDIGW and CWGC records for about 8000 men.

My experience is that in SDIGW the information that was recorded is very variable.

In some cases all a man's regiments are shown, in others only one previous regiment even when there were more than that, in some cases no former regimetns are shown.

When one considers the number of men involved and the type of technology they had at the time it is not surprising that errors or ommissions were made.

Your question has made me think about this problem. Perphaps one day I will have the time to check the records more carefully - pehaps!

Hi Jim

I have found the same as Ivor when it comes to SDIGW and CWGC records. I am also slowly collecting the Medal Rolls for the K.S.L.I. The roll records all units that a chap as served in overseas, I do not think the Index cards show all units served in, I have not seen enough of these to know for sure.

Annette

Ivor and Annette,

Thanks for your insight, it was something I've been thinking about for some time and wondered what others thought.

Best of luck with your research.

Jim