Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance Day

David_Bluestein

On the eve of Remembrance Day I find it hard to focus on one aspect of the war or person to ‘remember’. I have been moved by so many stories of valour, selflessness and death by these mostly very young heroes, all year long. I think of my great uncle, and picture his face in my mind from the old photo we have. He is still on the Somme somewhere. I think of my grandfather who landed at Dieppe in August 1942, and was one of the few to actually get off alive. He would land there again on D-Day. I think also of the many soldiers who’s lives I regularly research, and sort through their medals remembering all.

I thought though, the reality is for me, like for most of us, we celebrate Remembrance Day all year long.

On the 11th of November, the rest of the country will join us…for a moment.

To all the lads who are still there, God rest your souls.

David

Canada

Hi David,

Great sentiments; I agree whole-heartedly. Today I spoke to a high school assembly of some 700-plus students. To try and get them to fully comprehend what the soldiers of 1914-18 endured, I had them all stand up and imagine themselves as the Newfoundland Regiment on 1 July,1916. After a brief summary of what the unit went through that day, I had everyone sit except for one class of some fifty students. When I told them that this was what was left of the regiment at the end of the day, I think they got some idea of just what these men had gone through.

I thought though, the reality is for me, like for most of us, we celebrate Remembrance Day all year long.

On the 11th of November, the rest of the country will join us…for a moment.

To all the lads who are still there, God rest your souls.

David

Canada

Agree with your sentiments David.

On the news here in Western Australia last night they showed a British veteran who apparently is the last survivor of the Essex Regiment.

He was going to the main Remembrance Service in Perth today, though I hope he came out of it okay as the temperature here today is pushing 40 degrees celcius.

Regards

Andrew