Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kent WW1 Relics

guy taylor

Kent County Council is conducting a survey of 20C Defence Sites [Official blurb below]. WW2 is relatively well documented, but WW1....

There were some anti-invasion defence lines dug, similar (but less substantial) to the GHQ line of WW2. If anybody out there has any info regarding these or other locations of WW1 military or Civil Defence sites (but NOT memorials) I'd be glad to hear from them. It doesn't matter if they have been destroyed subsequently - there may be potential archaeological traces that should recorded.

With thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Guy Taylor

[Researcher: Tonbridge + Malling District]

The survey of Kent’s 20th century military and civil defence sites is being carried out through a project called the Historic Fortifications Network. The Network is a partnership of 25 organisations in Kent, East Sussex, Nord-Pas de Calais (France) and West Flanders (Belgium) and is dedicated to the conservation and promotion of the fortified remains of the region, which together form a globally important set of monuments. The project is co-ordinated in the UK by Kent County Council and is part funded by the EU through the Interreg programme. For more information please see our website: www.fortifications.org

Guy

I'm happy to share info on the drill halls in Kent that I have at the moment, and would be grateful for any gaps that you can fill

Regards

Graeme

Kent County Council is conducting a survey of 20C Defence Sites [Official blurb below]. WW2 is relatively well documented, but WW1....

There were some anti-invasion defence lines dug, similar (but less substantial) to the GHQ line of WW2. If anybody out there has any info regarding these or other locations of WW1 military or Civil Defence sites (but NOT memorials) I'd be glad to hear from them. It doesn't matter if they have been destroyed subsequently - there may be potential archaeological traces that should recorded.

With thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Guy Taylor

[Researcher: Tonbridge + Malling District]

• 2 months later...

Guy

Are you still looking at this? I may have some info regarding trench lines east of Lower Halstow. I have a map of their location and have walked the fields trying to find traces but to no avail. I'm not sure whether they were actually dug or whether they were just planned in case of an invasion. The trenches would have formed an outer defence line for Chatham.

Mick