Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of war 1917-1919

wesmo

My late grandfather used to say he guarded POWs during his war service 1917-19. I believe he refered to the prisoners being held near Norwich prison. Does anybody know if POWs were held in or near Norwich at thar time?

Thanks,

Wes.

Have a look HERE, Wes. Although I'm a bit sceptical about the first photo! POW's in straw boaters??

Thanks for the reply Chris. Unfortunately I can't open the link you put on your posting - it takes me to a default home page.

Could you give me the web address of the page you're linking to?

Thanks again,

Wes.

wes,

If you open the link and go to the default page you can then delete the redirect bit at the end of the address and it takes you to the home page proper

Search for prisoners of war and open the "picture norfolk" item.

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I've looked at the pictures - and I agree with you about the boaters!

The picture of the POWs at work on the Waveney looks nearer to what I was seeking. I wonder where they were held captive?

Wes.

There is a published list places of internment in the British Empire. It is thin and a little expensive and I have a copy somewhere but I seem to have mislaid it. It list camps in Norfolk which I think were probably mainly agricultural. If I can find it in reasonable time I will look for a camp near Norwich.

Doug

Aldborough, Norwich - Agric Group atached to Kings Lynn Agric Depot under Pattishall.

Billingford Maltings, working camp under Pattishall, near Diss.

Burnham Market, working camp under Pattishall

East Dereham, working camp under Pattishall

Estury Road, Kings Lynn, working camp under Pattishall

Kenninghall, East Harling, working camp under Pattishall

Kings Lynn (St James Hall), working camp under Pattishall

Lakenham Mills, working camp under Pattishall

Mundford (West Tofts), working camp under Pattishall

Shouldham, working camp under Patishall

Thorpe, Norfolk war hospital, Norwich

Warren Wood, Croxton, Thetford, working camp under Pattishall

Whitwell, agric group attached to Kenninghall Agric depot under Pattishall.

That's all I could find for Norfolk. Please note that the addresses are postal addresses and may not be the same as the camp.

Lakenham Mills are still there and are now upmarket private houses opposite the Cock pub. I spent the most part of my childhood messing about there.

Lionboxer

Just "Googled" Lakenham Mills. Whole load about the mill's history and mention of 26 German prisoners housed in stables there.

Lionboxer

• 4 weeks later...

Doug,

I would be interested in any details of the publication. Is it still available? I am working on a project to locate all 20th Century military sites in the UK with the plan to create a website illustrating each. This sounds as though it could provide some useful additions to the database that I am compiling. How readily identifyable are the actual sites ?

Jeremy

Jeremy,

The publication is a facsimile of a contemporary publication by the Prisoners of War Information Bureau titled "list of places of internment". I bought mine last year so it should still be available. As a list it is fine but as a locating aid it lacks a bit. For instance Market Harborough Agric depot No 2 has the postal address of Market Harborough, Leicestershire which is not very useful. Other have postal addresses that are clearly not the location itself eg one has an address which is the local post office. PoW hospitals are clearly identifiable and I suspect many still exist. (The LLT also has a good list of all major military hospitals but not the smaller ones) If any one person was mad enough to want to try to identify all the locations then I guess that the local newspapers, local history books and societies etc will be the only sensible way. My guess is between 400 and 500 locations within the UK are listed.

Doug

• 7 years later...

Hi

I know from reading local paper articles that German POW's were held at Gressenhall (where the museum is now - used to be called Beech House) and four were also at Dillington Hall just outside Dereham. All were put to work in the fields and digging out ditches around the area.

thanks and take care, Kitty