Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Palestine campaign

wesmo

The attached photo was among the postcards that my grandfather George Moore sent home from Palestine in 1918. As part of the 54th division he took part in the campaign. The photo was labelled "captured transport on the Nablus-Beisam road, Palestine". Grandad wrote on the card that it was like this all along the road, except that no bodies of men or horses were shown in the photo.

Does anybody know the signifance of the advance along this road? Is there a modern history of the campaign?

Thanks,

Wes

post-15333-1161617475.jpg

The attached photo was among the postcards that my grandfather George Moore sent home from Palestine in 1918. As part of the 54th division he took part in the campaign. The photo was labelled "captured transport on the Nablus-Beisam road, Palestine". Grandad wrote on the card that it was like this all along the road, except that no bodies of men or horses were shown in the photo.

Does anybody know the signifance of the advance along this road? Is there a modern history of the campaign?

Thanks,

Wes

That’s the Wadi Fara’a road from Nablus to the Jordan valley where the Aus. Air force and the RAF had bombarded a large retreating Turkish line at Sept. 1918 days after the beginning of the Megiddo campaign. The remains of the convoy were captured in many pictures available in books and other sources. It is (much like the whole battle of Megiddo) regarded as the first example in modern history of a “Blitzkrieg” action – The pilots had bombed the hear and rear of the convoy, then destroying the rest…

There are many sources, but the best illustrated is definitely the “Megiddo” issue of “Campaign series” also including a great sketch. I have it at home and could scan some pages if you wish.

Mate,

As mentioned there are many photos of this time particularly on the AWM webb site with more graphic photos of the dead, both horses and men.

This time always reminds me of the retreat from Kerwait by Saddam's army and the highway of death where the Coalition airforces bombed anything from tanks to fire engine's the Iraq's used to flee the city.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Wes

Do you know what regiment your Grandfather fought with?

There are several of us on the forum with interests in the various battalions that made up the East Anglian Division.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

My grandfather was in the Royal Field Artillery. He left France early 1916 and went to Egypt (Alexandria)- Mena camp. His infantry was the 4th and 5th Norfolk's (163 Brigade). As part of the 54th Division he took part in the advance to Jerusalem. Just before they got to Jerusalem George, together with Major Miles (to whom George was groom), and a few other men, were transferred to the 60th (2/2nd London) Division.

I'd be interested in anything other forum members know about these units in the middle eastern campaign.

Thanks,

Wes.