Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Buried Treasure

KONDOA

Chums,

My Grandfather (Pte Arthur Hill - Lincolnshire Reg / 2/6th North Staffs) was awarded this teapot after the war. It is believed to be one of only four presented by the village to it's serving men and until this last week this particular one was thought to have been destoyed/lost many years ago although it was much treasured by Arthur prior to his death.

Needless to say it's reappearance has been met with delight by myself and a restoration is intended as the original silversmith may still exist in Lincoln - we shall see. Hope you like it ; I do. Have similar examples been found by other chums?

Roop

Detail

post-3925-1176556137.jpg

post-3925-1176556211.jpg

• 5 months later...

We have just had a celebratory cup of tea made in it. Restored for use and for Arthurs great grandkids to remember too.

Roop

Needless to say it's reappearance has been met with delight by myself

Delight?

I hope this is a classic example of understatment. I would have been quite chuffed in the circumstances.

Wow...well done!

Truely a treasure.

TT

The original silversmith / retailers in Lincoln carried out the work either directly or indirectly for me. Unfortunately with various changes in the business the records do not stretch back to show what the original purchase order was. We know though that there were only 4 presented and one of the others was for Arthur's brother Charles Hill (unfortunately with a name like that we do not know any details of service).

Thanks to all for your appreciation.

Roop

Looks like it cost a few bob at the time - nice to see someone's service properly appreciated (remembering Ian Hislop's account of the city council somewhere who had a formal dinner for themselves and 'forgot' to invite any veterans). How will it be shared by the grandkids?

• 15 years later...

After a hiatus of 17 years, it is nice to be able to return to an old topic.

I have been able, with the help of the Eagle Parish Council historian, to learn more regarding my teapot and the others known of. They have also provided the attached list of recipients.

The villiage informs:

"A page from an old village history book which names all the men who returned from war from the parish they could choose either to have a wrist watch or an electroplated teapot , in November 1920 they were presented after £85 was raised by the village".

Unfortunately the image has uploaded on its side??

Roop

Eagle Soldiers.JPG