Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

calling 2nd Gaza tank experts, again

T8HANTS

Hi

I have gone back through some old threads, but I cannot find if the tank knocked out on the Sheikh Abas Ridge on the 17th April during the run up to second Gaza has been identified. I do know that the wounded crew was rescued by stretcher bearers from C Coy 8th Hants (Isle of Wight Rifles), but have not found out the name of the tank.

All help appreciated....Gareth

Gareth - will see what I have and come back

Stephen

PS I'm not an expert but then again..... you knew that

I think it may have been Sir Archibald; Nutty being the other tank

Does that sound right to you

Hi Stephen

Yes that is a sound theory, I was given a photograph of a tank identified on this forum as Sir Archibald Murray, by a Sgt who was close to it, when it went. I had thought it was the one that broke into Tank Redoubt, but that would appear to be Nutty, a Mk1 female.

Now all I need to do is find out more about Lt Roberts of the 8th Hants, and what he got up to in Tank redoubt.

For those who have not seen this debate before here is H.M.L.S. Sir Archibald Murray.

Thanks...........Gareth

post-890-1161359738.jpg

Mates,

Yes Sir Archiblad was KOed on the 17th April with some of this crew awarded the DCM for rescuing other crew members.

Hatherall V L/cpl

Janes P Pte

Oldknow J Pte

HMLS Nutty was named after the company comander Maj Norman Nutt DSO.

Cheers

S.B

Mate,

The report said the following;

163rd Bde Operation Order No 7 17-4-17

Two tanks procecced into action at 0430 from pt 300on Dumbell Hill procceding round Sh Abbas Ridge at Pt Sq W 32d.

Tank HMLS Sir Archiblad (2/Lt Living) was hit on the left track by enemy shell fire , knocking the track off and putting the tank out of action.

The officer Lt Living was wounded in the eyes, the enemy continued to shell the tank and eventually it caught fire, Gunners Ferguson and Jones were servely wounded and eventually died of wounds, gunner Oldknow was wounded in the thigh and had burns on the hands, gunner Janes wounded in the forearm, the driver and other two gunners escaped without a servre shaking.

L/Cpl Hatherall and Gunner Janes acted in a very gallent manner in assisting me to get the wounded from the tank under heavy shell fire.

The other tank HMLS Nutty (2/Lt Carr) procceded round Sh Abbas and Mansurra ridges but no enemy were encountered. he eventully returned via Mansurra ridge to (wadi Hukhat) hard to read?

The report makes no mention of what units were around them at that time and its possible that the soldiers of the 8th Hants help rescue the wounded crew from the tank after it had caught fire and burned.

The Camel Corps makes note that the 8th Hants was relieved during the night of 18/19 April 1917 on Sh Abbas ridge when they moved into position to start the attack that day 19th April 1917.

The 8th Hants must have moved down behind the 5th Norfolks in the morning for the battle that day after being relieved by the 2nd British Camel Bn on Sh Abbas ridge.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve

Thank you for the extra info'. Do you have any more I.C.C. reports that mention the movments of the 8th Hants around the Gaza front? Anything you can share would be VERY useful.

Gareth

Mate,

Yes but I think I passed what I had to you before as it relates to the after action reports of the 1st Anzac Bn during the Tank redoubt fighting.

Which is to say there is a passing mention of the actions that day by your Bn or soldiers of that Bn so far as they interacted with the ICC members.

Cheers

S.B