Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 19.10.06

Terry Denham

The answer to the question of the 'stolen' headstone might lie with the council works office or a contractor who may simply have taken an unsafe or fallen stone away. It might even still be at the depot amongst a pile of other broken stones. It could have been damaged in a fall or by grass cutting machinery.

I agree that supplementary information ought to be able to be added to the CWGC record.

RIP John Rae

There is only so much that CWGC can do in these cases, within its own remit and resources, but I do feel that the presumption should be in favour of preserving at the very least an electronic record of as much collateral information as possible (in this case, the names of both of John Rae's parents in the publicly searchable part of the database, together with a mention of the fact that they are buried in the same grave, and, perhaps, the details of their deaths and burials in a closed 'Additional notes' area.)

I am sure it is not intentional, but the CWGC's single-minded focus on the eligible casualty can sometimes seem callous and dismissive of the wider family/social context. Then again, on a recent visit to a local cemetery, I saw a CWGC headstone to a Canadian soldier (presumably a 'stay behind' who died of flu) and his 6-month old daughter, and another to a man and his mother. Also two brothers buried together, and likewise a father and son.

In a similar vein, seeing as Rae was named as John on his original headstone, and likewise in his database entry, it would have cost nothing to name him as John Rae on his CWGC headstone (there are plenty of CWGC headstones with forenames on them).

• 8 years later...

John Rae was my Great Uncle.  Isabella his mother moved to live with her son Peter and his wife Ann.  My mother Isabelle was born at that address.  I have gleaned most of the information from your website.  I had no idea that my Grandfather had an older brother.

• 1 year later...

R/1247 AB John Rae also appears on Helensburgh War Memorial and in local St Columba’s church. He was a Railway Goods Clerk in Helensburgh Central station when he volunteered for RND in 1917. I am currently compiling article on him and his 2 brothers (Archibald and Peter) and would appreciate any more information. I am especially keen to know how John Morcombe managed to have CWGC install headstone on his grave in Bellingham Cemetery. 

John Rae’s elder brother was quiet a character. Despite the family’s modest upbringing he went to Glasgow University where he graduated with a MA degree and won its Gold Medal for Natural Philosophy, served throughout Great War first in 3rd Hussars before being commissioned in Seaforth Highlanders. He died in Carlisle in 1982 at the age of 89. I suspect John and Archibald were very close because when Archibald moved to Glasgow to study at University, John obtained a transfer with North British Railway to Glasgow area.