Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bombing raid on September 9th 1918.

Tony Lund

Holmfirth’s George Hubert Bradley, Air Mechanic 1st Class (403127), 1st Aeroplane Supply Depot Repair Park, was killed by an enemy bomb on September 9th 1918. He was buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, which I believe is near Boulogne.

Grave Reference: IV. C. 26.

The CWGC website tells me that Plot IV Row C contains the graves of 46 RAF personnel killed at Marquise in September 1918 in a bombing raid by German aircraft. Does anyone have any more information on this raid?

Tony.

Tony

According to Airmen Died in the Great War, AMII G H Bradley was killed on 23 September 1918.

The German raid on No 1 ASD at Marquise on 23/24 September 1918 was the most devastating attack on a British aerodrome or aviation facility during the War. Thirteen German bombers (probably AEG, Friedrichshafen and Gotha G-types) took part, and 48 men were killed on the ground, while 124 were wounded. 26 British aeroplanes were destroyed, and 73 damaged.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

I gave the wrong date there!

Thank you, that is excellent.

Do you now if RAF service records are in Air 79 at the National Archives? They are answering my questions about Great War RAF service records with information about Army service records, they seem to think I must mean the RFC.

Tony.

Do you now if RAF service records are in Air 79 at the National Archives?

Tony

Sorry, I can't help you there. It's probably a question best answered by someone in the UK.

Cheers

Gareth

I see you are from Sydney, Australia. I missed that as well! Not very observant just now.

Thanks again for the information.

Tony.