Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK POW Camps

JeremyFlack

I am working on a project which will soon manifest itself as a website It is a database of the UK's 20th Century Military Structures and the plan is to include photos of each of the structures. This is a massive project and will incorporate everything from airfield hangars to anti-tank obstructions.

While WW2 and Cold War sites are fairly well documented the same is not for WW1 sites and so I am after help in identifying any of these.

The object of this project is not to scoop up and copy information from existing work that has been carried out by large number of dedicated researchers / historians over years but to put a structure in place which will link them together and make them easier to find. I liken it to there being lots of pieces of jigsaw out there and I am trying to put the picture together.

This project will enable anybody to look at a location(s) and see what exists there. This can be selected by the name of the location, type of location, period of time or a map. Each structure on the site will have been photographed and will be viewable. Because of the scale of this project I do not intend to put together a history of each site but will incorporate links to existing sites that have already done that job. Hopefully, this will highlight locations for which no history exists on the web and encourage those gaps to be filled.

This project can be likened to the Defence of Britain one but will be greatly improved in terms of accessability, accuracy and online photography. While I am limiting it to the 20th Century, it will be far more extensive in that where the DoB site lists an airfield this one will list and include photographs of each building.

I have compiled a list of what I believe to be each airfield and am currently working on POW Camps. While WW2 POW Camps are fairly well documented I am currently conducting an uptodate survey to confirm the exact location and check on surviving structures of any form. I would greatly appreciate any help in ensuring that all WW1 POW Camps are included. If you are aware of any and hopefully their exact location I would like to hear from you.

Although this is the current focus of my attention I would also appreciate any information on other sites. I would rather hear about one site 10 times than miss one so don't hesitate in sending me details.

I have found that http://local.live.com/ is a good means of identifying and recording locations which can then be emailed for me to have a look at. It is a bit cumbersome on its searches which are restricted to place name or Post Code but after then I find it very good. If you have any difficulties using it come back to me.

To email a map to me follow the automated route on local.live by clicking on the email facility either for single sites via the 'edit / move/delete' box or the 'E-mail' in the 'Share' at the top of the map for a batch of up to ten at a time. It will open up a lengthy email web address which is underlined and in blue. Copy and paste that into the forum's email and I should get that OK. As I said any problems let me know.

I look forward to your reply.

• 9 months later...