Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Policlinico, Rome

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I am trying to research a WW1 VAD who, according to her service sheet from the Red Cross archive, was at the above place between Dec 1915 and Feb 1916. I know the place is a hospital to this day, but I was wondering if it was a Red Cross hospital or training base in WW1? Basically, I am wondering what was there and why she was there? She had just been serving in an Auxiliary Hospital in Edinburgh and later served with the JWC 1st British Red Cross Ambulance Unit, in Italy.

Many thanks for looking,

Stewart

Hello,

It turns out that it was a Nurse Training Hospital. In 1915 a Miss Dorothy Snell took charge of the hospital. In November 1915 she came to the UK to interview candidates for the the Hospital. This was because they were needing trained nurses to serve with the Italians and also they were about to set up a British Hospital on Sicily.

Regards,

Stewart

• 5 months later...

Hello

I am researching two VADs by the name of Agnes Desiree Dickinson (known as Desiree Dickinson) and another by the name of Nora Dickinson. I believe that one or maybe both served in Rome during WW1. I was interested by your reference to the Red Cross archive and wonder whether you could give me the location & full details of this archive.

With thanks

Fred

I would also be interested in the latest address of the Red Cross Archive.

Some years ago I obtained details on a VAD whose autograph book I have. At that time it was near Guildford.

However, given the recent move of New Zealand records it might be as well to know if the address I have still stands.

:) Hello,

I found it by searching on google. They have an online guide to badges and medals worn by the Red Cross as well as an address to write to regarding records.

Regards,

Stewart