Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History of the Great War

Martin Bennitt

Hello Pals

Had occasion to dip into this today and was struck once again by the elegance of the style and the clearness of the writing. I have the second edition which was published all of 70 years ago but IMHO is still hard to beat. The only other general histories I have are Taylor -- which I was given as a school prize and sparked off my interest in the War, and Keegan. Is this a fair spectrum or is there one I am missing? Grateful your opinions.

Thanks and cheers Martin B

...The only other general histories I have are Taylor -- which I was given as a school prize and sparked off my interest in the War, and Keegan. Is this a fair spectrum or is there one I am missing? Grateful your opinions.

Thanks and cheers Martin B

Recently David Stevensons 1914-1918 has provided a detailed look at the entire conflict from its causes to its consequences. I thought that it was very good although it could be a little dry at times. I think it is one of the best books I have read on the subject of the First World War, even if I disagreed with a few points, the reasoning is sound throughout. In my view it is certainly better than A J P Taylor's Illustrated History of the First World War. Furthermore if Taylor counts, Terraine's The First World War written in the early 1960s is excellent, it is brief but well written treatment of the war. The original edition was illustrated however I think that it can now be bought without illustrations, he frequently illustrates his facts with numbers and it is a very good overview.

Jon B)

I think (?) that Edmonds, the official historian also produced a single volume.

I do often remind people that Cruttwell is a good single volume and worthy of spending time on - a good and concise account that does not overwhelm the reader with the Western Front. It's not usually expensive either.

Hello Martin, Martin and Jon,

I have only read a few pages in Cruttwell and I must say that he writes in a brilliant style and does not introduce too many details. Concise and readable.

He was one of Evelyn Waugh's tutors at Oxford. Waugh thoroughly disliked him , which is not unusual for Waugh , but must have been influenced by his tutor's style.

All the best,

Fred

Cruttwell served as an officer in the 1/4th Royal Berkshires.

Evelyn Waugh used the named Cruttwell for a couple of disreputable characters in his novels as revenge.

Simon

Simon,

Can you give examples of such disreputable characters?

Offhand I cannot remember any.

Waugh's biographer also stated that Cruttwell had a particularly cold and unfeeling way of looking at things

and people and that this was shown in his book. I cannot agree: again and again he regrets the blood shed in another futile attempt at breakthrough.

All the best,

Fred

Fred

With help from Google:

Toby Cruttwell in Decline & Fall.

In Scoop, William Boot buys his tropical kit from General Cruttwell's Emporium.

Apparently there is a Gladys Cruttwell in a short story Winner Takes All.

One web source stated there were four Waugh characters named Cruttwell, another that Waugh drove C R M F Cruttwell to the 'mad house'!

Regards

Simon