Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone in Ripon do me a favour?

Jim Strawbridge

I am researching WW1 serving female casualties. I have names but if they do not have a CWGC cared for grave any other information takes some finding. I have a Zoe Sutcliffe who was a member of North Riding of Yorkshire 38 Voluntary Aid Detachment who died of illness. Other than her name is on the York Minster panels that is all that I know about her. BUT today I did a Google search and found a Harrogate Borough Council website showing headstones listed that were considered dangerous and that were going to be flattened/removed. They list a Zoe Sutcliffe as being in Ripon Cemetery and helpfully provide a grave plot number and a map of the cemetery. Is this the same Zoe Sutcliffe whose last resting place I am trying to find? As it will almost certainly be a private headstone the names and dates on it will also be extremely helpful and a photograph would be excellent. So anyone out there able to help?

the website is :- http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/immediacy-4477...;theme=textonly

Hi Jim.

I am away next weekend Jim for a week, but, when i get back, i need to take some photos in the Ripon/Borobridge area anyhow. If you don't get any other offers in the meantime, drop me a line, i'll do my best.

Regards, Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent the photos Jim, but i thought i would share this with the Forum.

This is the 'tip of the iceberg' so to speak. It looks like somebody has driven a JCB through the cemetery. Very sad. Very sad indeed.

Regards, Chris.

post-47-1162760468.jpg

So, if a VAD in service, should she have been entitled to CWGC status?

Chris

Thank you, Chris, for getting the pictures for me. I am most grateful. Can anyone on the list tell me what the G.S. stands for after V.A.D. It has been suggested that it stands for General Service but does anyone actually know.

It stands for General Service. These were the VADs who did not necessarily do nursing, but other general tasks like waitressing, or cleaning.

Norman

This is a nice composition Chris, if somewhat sad given the circumstances, and there is also something quite surreal. Notice the poppy, and the juxtaposition between the sacrifice made, and the sacrifice remembered in the form of tribute.

Kind Regards,

Dave

I am researching WW1 serving female casualties. I have names but if they do not have a CWGC cared for grave any other information takes some finding. I have a Zoe Sutcliffe who was a member of North Riding of Yorkshire 38 Voluntary Aid Detachment who died of illness. Other than her name is on the York Minster panels that is all that I know about her. BUT today I did a Google search and found a Harrogate Borough Council website showing headstones listed that were considered dangerous and that were going to be flattened/removed. They list a Zoe Sutcliffe as being in Ripon Cemetery and helpfully provide a grave plot number and a map of the cemetery. Is this the same Zoe Sutcliffe whose last resting place I am trying to find? As it will almost certainly be a private headstone the names and dates on it will also be extremely helpful and a photograph would be excellent. So anyone out there able to help?

the website is :- http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/immediacy-4477...;theme=textonly

I have in the past obtained fairly detailed information on V.A.D.s from the British Red Cross. A donation is requested.