Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hants regiment SS clyde

Murrough

I would be grateful for any info on this man Pte George Dragon 14505 2nd batt hampshire regiment he was awarded the SWB and I would like to know if he was on the SS Clyde or what company he was in.

Regards,

Murrough.

Thanks Bob, George Dragon landed at Galliopli on April 25th but I think only 2 companies disembarked from the Clyde and I was wondering if anyone knew which 2 and if there is any record of the members of these companies.

Regards,

Murrough

quote: "I think only 2 companies disembarked from the Clyde and I was wondering if anyone knew which 2 "

Per Ray Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli" the two companies were 'Y' & 'Z' [plus Headquarters]

Hopefully a 'Hants' Pal will direct you to further info re the chap you are interested in

regards

Michael

I would be grateful for any info on this man Pte George Dragon 14505 2nd batt hampshire regiment he was awarded the SWB and I would like to know if he was on the SS Clyde or what company he was in.

Regards,

Murrough.

The 2nd hampshires as part of 88th brigade, 29th Div were based in Stratford upon Avon before leaving for gallipoli. The 29th Div monument is close to coventry on the A45. Private Sidney Earley of the 2nd hants died on Pneumonia on 5th feb 1915 and is buried in Stratford. King George inspected the Div on 12th March 1915. 'All Stratford' turned out to see the Hampshires off. The Clyde had four companies of Munsters, two of 2nd Hampshires and one of 1st Dublins - over 2000 men. The rest of the Hampshires attacked V Beach. The 29th would fight alongside the 11th Div at Suvla Bay in August. (from The Story behind a monument by Chris Holland and Tony Jordan)

stevem

Murrough,

Just to add to the picture since at this stage I understand that you are not sure which company this chap was in; the other two companies of the 2nd Hants, 'W' and 'X' Companies, landed from the Aragon at W Beach. There they lost 7 killed, 18 wounded and 3 missing

The two companies which landed at V Beach are described by Westlake as having "Heavy casualties on landing - many men hit while wading ashore in shoulder-deep water, most of the wounded drowned."

Lt Col H Carrington Smith was shot by a sniper on the afternoon of the 25th April

while he was on the bridge of the River Clyde looking through his binoculars according to one account

regards

Michael

Once again my thanks to Steve and Michael for the extra information.Maybe some one can tell which company from his reg number.

Regards,

Murrough.

Thank you for your detailed information Reciprocity, it is most helpful and it answers all my questions.

Best Regards,

Murrough.