Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS "RIO" - grimsby fishing Vessel - Lost without trace in 19

Guest Dave Bridle

Guest Dave Bridle

I currently have athread running in "Soldiers" about a Pte BOOTH. His father was the Chief Engineer of SS"Rio". It was a trawler/fishing vessel that was lost without trace in 1915.

Does anybody know where I might be able to find any information about the Rio. All I have is a small newspaper cutting announcing the lose of the vessel but that is it.

Hello

Eight merchant seaman lost their lives in RIO. I have the list, if required.

All best

don

Dave, just a little:

According to the Tower Hill Memorial, where members of her crew are commemmorated, she was lost on 26th January 1915.

That, unfortunately, is where the record of the Rio seems to end. Have found no other traces of her.

Best wishes

David

The German light cruiser Strassburg laid a minefield about 50 miles east of the Spurn on January 14, 1915. If actually a war loss (hard to be 100% sure if a vessel just disappears), Rio would likely have sunk on one of those mines. Having not much of a paper trail on fishing vessel that disappear under these sorts of circumstances is fairly common about that time during the war.

Best wishes,

Michael

Guest Dave Bridle

Many thanks for the replies.

I too have a list of those who were onbaord, listed on the newspaper article about the disappearance of the vessel.

Seems that as it went missing without trace, there is very little about it, other than the fact that it did go missing.

Eight merchant seaman lost their lives in RIO. I have the list, if required.

don

Don, I have a list of nine names of merchant seaman lost in Rio but I can not find some of them on the CWGC site. I would appreciate your eight names to check against mine.

Cheers Terry

Hello

Sorry, recounting I do have nine names as well.

1st Engineer Booth

3rd Hand Channel

Cook Hammond

Trimmer Monkman

4th Hand Morris

Mate Pigney

2nd Engineer Taylor

Skipper Thrower

4th Hand Utting.

All nine do appear in the CWGC website in the Merchant Navy.

All best

don

Don, Many thanks for the list - mine had different spellings (or phonetic equivalents) for Channel, Pigney and Utting! This clears it up nicely.

Cheers Terry