Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi and first silly question

Gary

Hi Forum

I'm new to both geneaology and military stuff, so this isn't going to be very easy for me! I have a couple of questions and I'll start witht he easy one first if I may:

My grandfather was in the 17th London Rifle Brigade (Stepney and Poplar) but on some sites I see references to 1/17th and 2/17th, being particularly dense, what is the difference?

Number two, the more difficult one. Rumour has it that my Grandfather had to change his name prior to joining the 17th LRB. He changed his name, so the rumour goes, because he wanted to leave one unit to join another. My question is, would that really happen, I mean would it not be possible to request a transfer or something?

I would have thought that desrting, which sounds like what he did, would be a pretty serious thing to do. Then why desert one mob to go to the Somme? I appreciate there may not be a lot of facts to guide this question but any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

There could have been any number of reasons for him wanting to change units.

A relative or close friend(s) may have been in the LRB, or he may have just prefered the Cap Badge or the cachet of a Rifle Regiment.

As for the Somme, their was great enthusiasm to be in on 'the Big Push'. Everyone expected it to be a walk in the park and, possibly, the last bit of the War so they wanted to be part of it. There are numerous accounts of mens efforts to ensure they took part including transfer requests from 'safe' units to those going into the line even swapping places with men in the first wave rather than wait in the reserves.

• 2 weeks later...

Jock/Hussar

Great information, I'll have a look at that website, it looks like I could learn a lot from it. I aslo would never of thought that men would jump to get in on the front line! Mind you, I have hindsight.

Thanks men, I appreciate your help.