Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archive WW1 Information Availablity

Bingo794

Hello Everyone

This is my first post on this site, and most interesting I am finding it, too. I have spent a little time in looking through the various subjects, and consider this the one most apt for my particular question.

Having been left a few items of WW1 origin, the usual medals, badges, photographs, casualty plaques, and suchlike, I thought it might be a good place to begin my research and get pointed in the right direction for documentary evidence of my relations WW1 service.

So, what can now be picked up from the National Archive site?

I have got as far as taking the MIC's which are, so I have found, a mine of information. I wondered if it was possible to get the Medal Rolls or the Service Badge Roll, without having to enlist the help of a pro researcher?

Are any other WW1 records available on-line, medical, injury, wounds, enlistment documents, this sort of thing there for downloading?

I managed to pull some WW2 naval information, which was surprisingly well detailed.

Incidentally, the people who I am studying served with the 21st Tyneside Scottish Northumberland Fusiliers, 11th East Yorks, 2nd Lincolnshire during the Boer War later with the Territorial Lincolns, and one man who I remember, when as a boy, he taught me to ride horses. He was RHA, very deaf and very vocal.

I have the MIC's for these people but need help in getting further.

Many Thanks,

Bingo Whitworth

Welcome, I'm pretty new to this so bear with me. I found dates of enlistment for my lot through 'SDGW' (Soldiers that Died in the Great War) try googling it! I've got snippets of info from Redmires Camp where 11th East Yorks spent some time. This forum is a couldron of knowledge and the folk here a very happy to share what they know so good luck diggin' around, cheers Jon :ph34r:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

REMEMBERING WITH PRIDE

Gunner 90230 Levi Woodhouse RHA/RFA killed in action 18/07/16

Bombardier 116599 Percival George Mogg RGA died of wounds 18/07/18

Bingo, if you have not already done so, I suggest you read through the "Researching a soldier" section on The Long, Long Trail site (link top left of this page). You will get lots of tips there.

Medal and war badge rolls are not available on line. Neither are service records. TNA have released some unit war diaries in the Documents Online service.

Good luck!

can I just add to number 1's post above, although a lot of swb and medal rolls are not on line there are a few who have access to them here so ask away

It may not be cheaper if you are researching a number of men, but...

You can get the people at Kew to copy the medal roll entries you are interested in and then view them on-line. You first have to request an estimate via this page. I got electronic copies of Victory Medal, British War Medal, and Silver War Badge entries for £11 in total (i.e. for three roll copies). All you need to do is fill in the details that you want with the WO reference for what you want. Sorry - don't know much about these but someone on this forum pointed me in the right direction.

Good luck,

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry for not getting back to you sooner, new computer set up, pressures of work, kids homework to do, dishwasher to plumb in - the usual situation.

I was a bit surprised at the number of replies, to be honest. It is nice to know that there is a plentiful supply off helpful, well informed individuals around.

I will heed your advice and comments.

Thank you.

Bingo