Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G W Slade 4th Bat Royal Fusiliers

delboy

Just bought this mans 1914 medal and on his MIC it states that he became a P of W on the 23/8/14, in all he served 10 days in Belgium/France.Is there any thing else I can do to get more info on this individual?

Thx Allan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ronald Moore
Just bought this mans 1914 medal and on his MIC it states that he became a P of W on the 23/8/14, in all he served 10 days in Belgium/France.Is there any thing else I can do to get more info on this individual?

Thx Allan

There is a forum/chat group on the 4th Bat, Royal Fusiliers but I am new to this so cant tell you how to find other than to look for member Graeme Hervey.

My father was Mentioned in Dispatches in this action at Mons on 23 Aug. 1914 when the first two VC's were awarded to Lt. Dease and Pt. Godley.

If you email me I might be able to find more info. ronaldmoore@btinternet.com

Good luck Ron

Hi delboy!!

I am by no means a font of knowledge on 4RF, just an interested gt grandson, an interest which has grown and grown with knowledge gained from this website. I set about trying to find descendants in my own time and so far have found 7 including Ron Moore and the grandson of Lt Dease!!! He is the President of the RF museum in HM Tower Of London.

Hi Delboy

I have a copy of the war diary for the 4th Bn royal Fusiliers.It doesnt name any other ranks throughout the diary except for one individual who was named, because he caused a self inflicted wound.Your man was one of a 112 killed and wounded on that day including 7 officers. Most of these casualties unfortunately had to be left behind.

All this took place on the 23rd aug between 11am and 3.30pm at Mons.Hope this information gives some indication as to how he became a P.O.W.

bestRegards

Andy.