Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Interpreting Service Record

LindaSeaton

Hi am wondering if any members can help me work out this Service Record.

From my understanding he was wounded twice: once on 14.4.1916 gun shot wound to the side, it then mentions a wound to the face on 25th April 1916 and then further down the page, 29.9.16 it mentions Wounded At Duty, was this all part of the same incident, am not sure as on 14.5.1916 it seems he joined 1st Army Heavy Mobile? Am a bit thick at this sorry!

On the second sheet it mentions Posted Home, Irish Command and then below it says Compulsarily Transferred.

Am not sure what the 'Alien Origin' means - relating to him or his wounds :)!!!

There is also an Award Sheet mentioning his gun shot would to the thigh and an amount of £48.15. Any help on making sense of this would be brilliant or is it me being thick!

Please bear with me if I don't attach images properly!

Linda

Linda

I can't read all of it, but here are some of the bits I can identify.

1st page

14.4.16 - received from 6th Battalion? - wounded

15.4.16 - received from 99 Field Ambulance

15.4.16 - received from No 1 Casualty Clearing Station.

25.4.16 - admitted No 1 Canadian General Hospital Etaples

29.6.16 - rejoined Battalion

It appears he was transferred to Ist Army Heavy Mobile Workshop, Army Ordnance Corps. These mobile workshops repaired and serviced heavy artillery guns. According to the top of the sheet, he was a coppersmith by trade so this may account for this transfer.

Page 2

This refers to his gratuity on discharge. He appears to have received a payment for the wound to his thigh plus some other emoluments. If you look at the bottom of the form you will see the phrase "pension expires" is crossed out and "gratuity" substituted. It appears his injury was not sufficiently bad to qualify for a pension, but a one off lump sum may have been granted instead.

"Alien origin" means he was born to non-British parents, perhaps abroad.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for that Terry, much appreciated! Explains what I thought about the pension bit- makes me laugh the 'alien origin' bit, it's his GGGrandfather who came over from Italy, his own father was actually born 'over here'!!

Thanks a bunch!