Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R Holmes "The Western Front" (BBC Books)

angelab

I recently bought a copy of Richard Holmes's "The Western Front", hoping to grasp a bit more about the battles around the Aubers Ridge area.

Now I try and get my head round it all, and look at the map on page 57, I find loads of place-names, and some roads and rivers, but absolutely no lines drawn in to show the positions of the opposing sides at any point. Comparing it with the maps on other pages, I am sure this is some kind of misprint, as the others all have helpful solid lines, dotted lines, arrows etc, whereas this Aubers Ridge page . . . nothing.

This seems to be a 2003 reprint. Does anyone have another edition and would be able to scan this page for me so that I can at last make sense of all this?!

Many thanks in advance

Angela

I recently bought a copy of Richard Holmes's "The Western Front", hoping to grasp a bit more about the battles around the Aubers Ridge area.

Now I try and get my head round it all, and look at the map on page 57, I find loads of place-names, and some roads and rivers, but absolutely no lines drawn in to show the positions of the opposing sides at any point. Comparing it with the maps on other pages, I am sure this is some kind of misprint, as the others all have helpful solid lines, dotted lines, arrows etc, whereas this Aubers Ridge page . . . nothing.

This seems to be a 2003 reprint. Does anyone have another edition and would be able to scan this page for me so that I can at last make sense of all this?!

Many thanks in advance

Angela

[/quote

Hi Angela,

We have a copy printed in 1999,and I am afraid it is exactly the same as the copy you have,no line drawings of troop positions,as the book was first published in 1999,I should imagine they are all the same,maybe you could ask Richard Holmes.

How annoying!

Yes, I wondered about getting in touch with him, but thought I would see if other editions were OK on this point.

I already had a quick Google look for him, and of course see he is at Cranfield, but couldn't see an obvious way to email him. Pen and paper is always an option I guess (unless anyone out there happens to have an email address up their sleeve that they could pm to me!).. Maybe if I photocopy my Aubers Ridge map, he will draw the relevant lines on it in his own hand!!

Angela