Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance Day

Bill Alexander

Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand commemorate November 11 as Remembrance Day. The United States marks Remembrance Day , and has the Memorial Day weekend. Do other nations mark Remembrance Day on November 11th? France, Belgium, the Netherlands? Do former colonies of Britain mark the day? For example, India or Pakistan?

In a similar vein, what other national observances are held in commemoration of war sacrifices? Eg Newfoundland marks July 1st, Australia Gallipoli?

Hi Bill,

I can't speak for the other countries you name but I know France has a national holiday on November 11th and also on May 8th (WWII Victory Day).

It seems they take this a little more seriously than we do.

Cheers

Rich.

Yes, France celebrates 11 November with a public holiday and lots of public ceremonies involving the Army and the local mayor. There was a suggestion that it would be scrapped, but Whit Monday has been axed instead. Also loads of programmes on TV, much more so than the UK.

Turkey celebrates WW1 on March 18, the opening day of the Dardanelles Campaign. All educational institutions are open but the day is given over to poems, plays and recitals put on by the students around the related themes of the Dardanelles, Ataturk and the War of Independence. The Army attend, say a few words and everyone has raki and cakes. And very nice it was, too. A good reminder that for some nations the war did not start on 4 August and it certainly did not end on 11 November. The Turks were fighting the Greeks and others through to 1923.

Horace - do you live in Keynsham? That's K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M.

J.R.F.

Well, it is true that I won't see 55 again. But if you got the point, then I don't think you will either :D

Cheers

Hedley

It's still a holiday in Belgium as well as France, although I have not seen much signof commemorations.

Do other nations mark Remembrance Day on November 11th? France, Belgium, the Netherlands? Do former colonies of Britain mark the day? For example, India or Pakistan?

In a similar vein, what other national observances are held in commemoration of war sacrifices? Eg Newfoundland marks July 1st, Australia Gallipoli?

As some may know I am trying to obtain poppies, or whatever else is worn, from all over the world.

In my searhing of the net I have found that Jamaica still wears the poppy -

http://www.jis.gov.jm/security/html/200311...OPPY_APPEAL.asp

Besides the Jamaican, and any other "exotic" poppy I still wish to hear from anyone who has New Zealand or South African poppies to trade. Also the rosemary worn to remember ANZAC ( C.L note the capitals!!).

Last but not least if any European readers can supply whatever they wear, eg the French Cornflower, I will be more than happy to send Commonwealth poppies in exchange.

Attended Remembrance Day at Villers Cotteret about five years ago with some friends at the invitation of the Mayor. Chris Baker will remember how it all started. Parades and ceremonies all day, often with school children at the forefront. Treated royally by the local people. The day ended with a dinner and dance for the widows of French servicemen killed in WW2. Still sticks in the memory.

By the way Hedley, you are not on your own. I remember Horace Bachelor as well - Radio Luxembourg. Never did win anything on the pools though.

Terry Reeves

Although I'm sure it's fairly common knowledge , I don't think it has been mentioned in the thread sofar , that in Australia ( and I guess New Zealand ) the major rememberance day is called ANZAC DAY , and is held on the 25th of April .

As an aside to Ian mentioning the French taking rememberance day slightly different than many of us ( that didn't come out right , but hopefully you know what I mean ) I was reminded of this a few years ago when visited in Australia by a French friend and his wife . I proudly produced a reasontly purchased 1915 lever action German stick grenade for their inspection . My friends wife turned very white and left the room ...he explained that her father had killed his brother when they were both about 10 yrs old with a WWII grenade they had found whilst playing . It brought it home to me that things in those country's that had been occupied can be very different .

Phil.

By the way Hedley, you are not on your own. I remember Horace Bachelor as well - Radio Luxemburg. Never did win anything on the pools though.

Terry Reeves

Absolutely, Terry. Crouched over the old cat's whiskers listening to Radio Luxembourg playing the top 20. Who was the dj? Kent Walton? Punctuated only by Horace's adverts. These were the days before TOTP, MTV - even before Ready, Steady Go and the Six-Five Special. We are talking a pre-Beatles, pre-history here when teenage music on the radio was controlled by ageing f***s like Uncle Mac and Jean Metcalfe who force-fed us an unwanted diet of of Peter and the Wolf and Swan Lake when what needed and craved for was Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Dion, Little Anthony and the Imperials ... . And where and when did we get it? 208 wave medium wave at 23h00 on a Sunday night. 60 minutes of heaven broken only by Horace's ads.

Ahhh, nostalgia. It's not what it used to be, Terry, it's not what it used to be ... .

Frank: I hear Horace died a very rich man. On the other hand there is a view that he is alive and well and posting on the Forum

Terry, I think there is only you, me, Frank East and JR who have the vaguest idea of what the hell I am whittering on about ... .

No they are not Hedley, I listened to Radio Luxembourg with ear phones doing guard duty in Germany in the late 60s. A crime for sure but it sure made you keep a sharp eye out for the officer of the day! So, guess I had sharp eye out also for the godless communists lurking about!

Fancy you lot remembering good old Horace. I guess anybody uder 50 wouldn't have a clue. Was it the Infra-draw method of winning the pools? As far as I remember, you sent your postal order off to Horace and he then proceeded to cover every permutation, thereby guaranteeing a win, for himself at any rate. I believe he did become a wealthy man.

What happened to Radio Luxemburg and was it actually transmitted from there? It certainly sounded like it, the way it was forever fading in and out. Still, it's all we had until the advent of the pirate stations.

By the way, wasn't the music better in those days?

Cheers

Rich.

It was indeed transmitted from Luxembourg. 208 operated from two quite small rooms. A number of other radio stations also operated from the same building, and I believe at least one TV station. There was a concert hall in the same building as well. And don't forget the gong!

Terry Reeves

Your namesake died a millionaire, his money made by a deep understanding of the fact that nobody ever lost money by under-estimating the gullibility of the great British public. His modus operandi was as you describe it; the Infra-Draw Method being a triumph for the manure of the male bovine over the contents of the cranial cavity. In a curious way one has to admire him.

Radio Luxembourg closed about 10 years ago, forced out of the market it created by the deregulation of radio waves across Europe. The reception was, indeed, terrible, but the music was, as you say, great. I brought up my kids on it. And then there was 'Journey into Space', a radio series about space travel long before man set foot on the Moon - and long before it became an alternative name for Newcastle Brown Ale. ...

But I digress. Let's get on-Forum again. Did the real Horace Bachelor have a WW1 service record? If so, does anyone have details?

Guest Jeff Floyd

A note on the original subject: in the US, we made Armistice day a national holiday in 1938 (although it was celebrated since 1919). In 1954, the name was changed to Veterans' Day to honor veterans of all wars.

Memorial Day, celebrated at the end of May, honors all war dead (although it seems better known for auto racing events).

[Never liked Newkie Brown]

A note on the original subject: in the US, we made Armistice day a national holiday in 1938 (although it was celebrated since 1919). In 1954, the name was changed to Veterans' Day to honor veterans of all wars.

Memorial Day, celebrated at the end of May, honors all war dead (although it seems better known for auto racing events).

[Never liked Newkie Brown]

Memorial Day in the US originally started as Decoration Day, in which soldiers who served in the Union Army during the American Civil War were remembered. There used to be a separate day in which the Confederate states remembered those who fell following Bobby Lee and Stonewall. To this day, old Southerners still consider Memorial Day to be a Yankee holiday.

BTW, there are two major automobile races, the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 for NASCAR stock cars.

for those of us stillinto the Infra Draw Mithod.Please not that Infra Grange is now an old peoples home,or to be pc a twilight persons residence.

Dont you just love getting old.

Cheers

John :D

Hedley explain about the Newcastle Brown Ale, don't get it. One of my bars has it on tap, superb !

Apologies to all - this is really off post!

Newcastle Brown Ale (or Newkie Brown as it is known to Geordie) is primarily a bottled beer brewed in - Newcastle. It has enjoyed a reputation for being a strong beer; it is barley wine cut with best Scotch (another beer, not whisky, Paul). It lost much of its strength during the 70s when Scottish and Newcastle Breweries applied the watering-can and reduced its formidable strength rather than increase the price in line with excise duty. Now it is a pale shadow of a once-magnificent drink, but the myth persists.

It rejoiced under a number of soubriquets intended to convey its powers to stupify. 'Journey into Space' was one - this was also the name of a famous Radio Luxembourg serial about space travel. 'Lunatic soup' was another.

Now then - there is a Western Front connection. Scottish and Newcastle's rivals were a firm called Vaux. In the 1920s they were losing market share to S&N and came up with a brown ale to compete with it. But what to call it? One of the Vaux family had commanded a MG batallion during WW1 and he drew on his war experiences to come up with a name to convey strength and masculinity - Vaux Double Maxim.

Not a lot of people know that ... .

Regards

Hedley

(Barman, Dene Bar, Corner House Hotel, Coast Road, Newcastle, 1965)

Hedley I am glad they toned it down, not that I am opposed to getting a bit intoxicated! but not so fast! It has a gerat taste still and tap is better than bottle here.

In 1997 I took my 2d trip to battlefields with my son and first had been less than a day on SOmme from paris with a woman, primary goals of that trip were not battlefieds. In 97 was going to sweep nearly the entire front. He was driving one day, we ended up in Cambrai. I bought a six pack of beer for the ride knowing nothing about it. After 3, thought it best to check it out cause I was drunk on 3 large cans, well the stuff was 12% and you can drink it at ordinary speed. By the time we got to Cambrai I was well lit.

Notice, I did mention several WW1 words & places! A bit off topic but...

I would like to inform others that may not be aware of the efforts that are taken in Canada to keep the "memories" alive, as seen by the two web sites that contain some great information. The Dominion Institute web site is to keep the young Canadians abreast of the survivors of the wars and the Memory Project allows the new generation to see and hear from the war time participants. Check out these sites at:

The Dominion Institute: http://www.dominion.ca/

The Memory Project: http://www.thememoryproject.com/

Also, if you are reading this on or about November 11, 2003 you can link to the WWI sites and shows that are listed on the Sympatico.ca site:

http://www1.sympatico.ca/

The direct site to get to the "Remember Pages" appears to be:

http://remember.sympatico.ca/ww1/theBattles.html

Thanks to all the veterans who made it possible for us to be here today to have the privilege to continue this research!