Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help on medal card from W J Fry

Monnaux

Hi,

Could someone help me understand what is noted in the remark zone of medal card attached under the transfer date. It's something like "blast 103MM". As it is next to the mention of the 1914 Star, it might be linked to that medal.

Also, William Fry served with the 1st Border regiment but his card mentions the 3rd Border Regiment.

I would like to know if he first served with the 3rd before going back to France or if was transfered to the 3rd after a last wound which caused him to be discharged. COuld anyone help me with this also?

Thanks,

Gerald

Does it say "Clasp and Roses"?

This is the bar for the ribbon of the 1914 Star which the soldier got for being "within range of mobile artillery" within the qualifying dates (up to 22-11-1914).

Steve.

The 3rd Border Regiment was the Reserve Regiment so he wouldn't have served overseas with them.

The 2nd Battalion was the only battalion to get the 1914 Star so he would have been with them initially. He may have been with the 3rd battalion before being called to the 2nd battalion to go overseas. Does his number have a "3/" prefix to it?

Having said that he could also have been discharged from the 3rd Battalion (likely since he was a Regular).

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

My Grandfather was serving with the 1st East Surrey from 8/11/1910 untill his transfer to the Border Regiment on 9/11/1915 . The Border regiment Museum have confirmed that he was serving with the 1st Border on the Somme and I have a letter from him dated 5/07/1916 saying he was wounded in Beaumont Hamel . The address from which it was sent says: 1st Border Regiment

He was discharged on the 3/04/1919 because of an amputated leg but I don't know if he lost it in 1917 or 1918 (his discharge certificate mentions one red and two blue chevrons and if this is correct, could he still be in France in 1917?)

Clasp and roses is mentioned on the left side of the card but the note I'm trying to understand is on the right side, under "Remark"

I've been trying desperatly to put a copy of the medal card ias an attachment but I just couldn' get it in. I've tried again.

WOuld you please have a look to see if you can read the note.

Thanks,

post-13492-1160577488.jpeg

Gerald