Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McConachie Annie B. Mental Nursing medal

John Gilinsky

:) Hello everyone! Spent 3 weeks in Ottawa researching my book on the history of shell shock in the CEF. Just this past weekend bought an intriguing medal.

On the front of the medal are the words:

"For / Proficiency / In Mental / Nursing / -

Medico - Psychological Assocation"

On the back of the medal is inscribed: "Annie B. McConachie"

This medal consists of an 8 pointed maltese cross with a circular medallion in the middle with a picture of a seated woman who appears to have miniature angel wings.

I know that the Medico-Psychological Association was based in England and therefore that this medal is British. However I do know that some Canadian nurses (a few?) may have qualified even prior to 1914 to receive such a medal.

1) What is this medal and what was its history? Date of issuance, authority for same, numbers issued etc...

2) Does anyone have ANY information or documentation on Annie B. McConachie whom I presume was Irish?

I suspect that the medal may date either pre-1914 or post-1919 as there is no mention of the war on it.

The medal appears to be made out of brass and comes with a floral patterned bar with a pin behind it attached to the medal proper by loops.

There are no makers, no dates etc... on the medal.

Thanks all!

John :)

Toronto,CANADA

John

This link may be useful. The association appear to have an archive which may help.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/college/archives/...inghistory.aspx

Terry Reeves

Many thanks from across the big pond! According to the nurses hyperlink from the above website my medal (or badge) dates from between 1903 to 1926 when the face deisgn was changed to a coat of arms. The female figure is supposed to represent psyche (hence I suppose those little wings!?). Would still love to track down more on the medal and to whom though it was issued to! Can anyone help further? :)

The Medal Index Cards list an Annie Elizebeth McConachie,QAIMNS,A Nursing Sister,by coincidence?