Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Edward Chick

malcway

I am researching the military service of the Grandfather of a colleague of mine. The man was Charles Edward CHICK, and he was a Gunner with 142 Heavy Battery, RGA. I have his Medal Index Card, reproduced below, and to me it suggests he was commissioned as a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant on 15 July 1917. However, when he was gazetted for his Meritorious Service Medal in January 1918 he is shown as being a Gunner (Acting Bombardier) which is also the rank engraved on his Victory and War medals. Am I interpreting these annotations correctly and if so can anyone suggest why this might be?

Also, on his MSM index card is the word 'Devotion' - I assume this means the medal was awarded for Devotion to Duty rather than for a particular act of gallantry while in combat? And - finally! - Does anyone have any information about the 142nd Heavy battery or 79th Mixed Bde, R.G.A., Fourth Army to which it belonged. The Brigade consisted of the following units;-

142nd (Heavy) Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 60pounder guns.

1/1st (Essex) Heavy Bty,R.G.A. 6x60pounder guns.

14th (Siege )Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

174th (Siege )Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 6inch Howitzers.

145th (Siege) Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 8inch Howitzers.

185th (Siege) Bty,R.G.A. - 6x 9.2inch Howitzers. Many thanks to all

Malcolm

post-4194-1160388468.jpg

The commission date is wrong by one year:

London Gazette 31-7-1918

R.G.A.

The undermentioned Cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. 15th July 1918 : -

Charles Edward Chick, M.S.M.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Another Gazette page that may be of interest:

Steve.

Thanks for the FAST reply! Have sent you a private e-mail.

Do you, or anyone else, know if it was customary to put only the substantive or acting rank on the medals, and not any Temporary rank achieved? Also, although the MSM index card states the award was Gazetted on 1st Jan 1918 there is no mention of it there. Can I assume therefore that this award was NOT an Immediate one for Gallantry, as my understanding is that such awards were published there?

Regards

Malcolm

This may be his service papers at Kew: -

WO 374/13501 CHICK, 2/Lieut C E 1915-1919

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=0

Regarding the MSM, this was an immediate award, awarded to Warrant Officers, NCOS and soldiers. The fact that it was gazetted after his commission is not unusual, these things took time, regardless ogf the word immediate. So it was awarded independant of his commission, for services when he was an ,other rank'.

There were 25,845 MSM awarded for Meritorious Service and 6 bars. 366 and 1 bar were awarded for Gallantry. The index card would normally record Gallantry and perhaps also the word pension, if this is not on your card then he got it for Meritorious Service.

Here is Bombadier Chick's MSM entry:

LG 1-1-1918 (Search date 28-12-1917)

MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Meritorious Service Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Men, in recognition of valuable services rendered with the Armies in the Field during the present war.

337248 Gnr. (A./Bomdr.) C E Chick, R.G.A. (Sunderland).

Steve.

P.S. The Commission was Gazetted AFTER the MSM in 1918. It's the date on the MIC that is wrong, showing 1917 instead of 1918.

Armoured Farmer and Stebie9173 - Thank you both very much for the information, Gentlemen.

As Stebie points out the date on the MIC is incorrect by exactly one year, explaining the apparent disagreement with CE's rank. The word 'Devotion' is on the MIC, so as Armoured Farmer explains it would have been an award for Meritorious service rather than Gallantry.

Stebie9173 - I am amazed how you found his entries in the LG - regardless of what I typed in the search engine I have never found anything of relevance!

The only remaining puzzle is why wasn't his Commissioned rank engraved on his medals? Surely he would not have reverted to his Gunner/Acting Bombardier rank before the end of the war?

Thanks again to you both

Malcolm

Just a thought but could it say Demotion, rather than Devotion?

I think his NA file is probably what needs to be looked at next...

Steve.

Hello,

It depends on whether he served overseas after he was commissioned, if he didn't then his qualification would be as an other rank and not as an officer. The medal rolls may answer this, but it does seem odd as he has a medal roll for his BW&VM as an officer. Strange one.

Looking at his file may help.

Definitely 'Devotion' which I understand from elsewhere in the Forum indicates Devotion to Duty when other men might reasonably done something else! Looks like a visit to the NA is called for. Thanks again, much appreciated.

malcolm

post-4194-1160574758.jpg