Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On-Line Field Of Remembrance

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Guest Kieron Hoyle

I thought that it might be a nice idea to have an 'on-line field of remembrance' on the site over the course of the next few days, so that people could just add a post with details of someone they want to remember.

post-8-1068331717.jpg

Guest Kieron Hoyle

and to start it off:

William Stewart, Mercantile Marine, WW1, WW2 (my great-grandfather)

John W Malcolm RAMC WW1, WW2

Leonard Tilney RFC KIA 1918

Roger C Brierley of Tattenhall, Cheshire.

Wilfred Owen, Manchester Regiment, KIA 1918

Edward Thomas, RGA, KIA 1917.

Hi Kieron

Sounds like a good idea to me so here goes

Priavte Harry Talmer 1st/1st Bucks Bn. O.B.L.I. K. in A. 21/07/1916

And also

Private Charles Talmer 70th M.G.C. Infantry D. of W. 24/09/1916

And all the Men & Woman that have lost there life in all conflict since.

And you all Rest in Peace

Brian

Remembering countless lives which have touched me in many ways over the years, but especially:

2/Lt Eric Rupert Heaton, 16th Middlesex, who fell in front of Beaumont Hamel on 1st July 1916, aged 20. An extract from his last letter home read,

"If I fall, do not let things be black for you. Be happy. You will be living then, always to my memory..."

And also the boys of the old brigade, No 1 Platoon, A Company, 12th Royal Sussex. Led originally by the redoubtable Nelson Victor Carter, they were wiped out at Richebourg on 30th June 1916. Carter, a giant of a man with tattoos of Buffalo Bill on both forearms, he was awarded a posthumous VC that day.

post-8-1068333710.jpg

A representative pair - one from my fathers family and one from my mothers:

L/Cpl Joseph Morella (true family name Marcella), 2nd/12th London Regiment (The Rangers) dow 24/12/1917 - Mendinghem Military Cemetery.

Pte Joseph Bull, 1st/4th Cheshires, kia 14/10/1918 - Hooge Crater Cemetery.

And one I have never 'understood' until seeing the documentary about Major Cain, VC last week. It seems that a very high % of VC winners had had responsibility thrust upon them by family circumstance.

Fusilier Dennis Donnini, VC, aged 19 of 4th/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers 18/01/1945 - Sittard War Cemetery.

In 1940, when this man was in his early teens his father was interned. As his elder brothers were in the army - one POW and one died - and his elder sisters in the ATS he would have had to keep the family business going, and see that his mother, and any younger siblings, were ok. Thats responsibility.

His father was released from an internment camp, after almost five years, to collect his dead sons VC from the King. The King is said to have told him to go home, which he did.

Remembering

Pte Sam Daughtery Riding, 3/2614 1/KOYLI KIA 1st October 1915 (GGrandfather)

Rfn Arthur Glew, 48280 13/Rifle Brigade, KIA 25th August 1918 (GGreat Uncle)

L/Cpl Percy Daughtery, 38414 1/Northumberland Fusiliers, KIA 28th March 1918 (GGreat Uncle)

Pte Gladstone Simpson, 22109 1/KOYLI, Killed in a rifle grenade accident in billets at WINNEZEELE aged 16. 10th June 1915.

Rest in peace boys.

Andy

In remembrance of my Grandfather, Gnr.Michael O'Mara, RA. Wounded in Action May 1940. It took him 21 years of paralysis and pain to die from the effects of his injuries.

Dave.

In memory of rifleman WILLIAM ION

B/200823, 13th Bn, Rifle Brigade k.i.a. on the 28th July 1917 aged 29.

Remembered with honour, Torreken Farm Cemetery Belgium.

Private Archibald Browne and Private Herbert Morris... represent a lost generation

My relatives seem to be later

Private Norman Westwood KiA 1942 El Alamein...

would have been my dad's 93rd birthday as well... a trusted old soldier from the HAC

we were lucky

John

In memory of 10292 Pte. Thomas Skelly of "B" Company, 1/East Lancashire Regiment who was Killed in Action, aged 20, at La Gheer on 11th November 1914.

post-1-1068336799.jpg

In memory of my Great Uncle, Private Richard Davies of the 1/6th Battalion Cheshire Regiment, who was killed in action at the Battle of Passchendale on 31st July 1917.

Also remembering all the men of the Royal Irish Fusiliers who laid down their lives.

Lest we forget

Andy

The men from Beckminster Methodist Church, Wolverhampton.

In memory of all of the men who marched away, and who never came home; and one of our own in particular: Private John Heath below.

Simon

Remember

REMEMBER me when I am gone away,

Gone far away into the silent land;

When you can no more hold me by the hand,

Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.

Remember me when no more day by day

You tell me of our future that you plann'd:

Only remember me; you understand

It will be late to counsel then or pray.

Yet if you should forget me for a while

And afterwards remember, do not grieve:

For if the darkness and corruption leave

A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,

Better by far you should forget and smile

Than that you should remember and be sad.

Christina Rossetti

In memory of

WYATT, Quinton Charles, 20564, Private, died of Asian ‘flu Monday, 11/11/18, age 25, 8th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment. Son of Mrs E A Wyatt of Hope Street, Sandbach. Buried Charlton Mackrell (St. Mary) Churchyard, Somerset, United Kingdom.

In memory of our two great uncles who died

Gabriel Townsend, 5th KSLI, killed at Bellewaarde on 25 September 1915.

Jim McSloy, 14th Northumberland Fusiliers, who died of wounds received in L'Epinette Salient near Armentieres, in hospital in Bailleul on 16 February 1916.

Also of my second cousin Noel Corrall, killed in the destruction of HMS Dasher, on 27 March, 1943.

In memory of great-uncles

Second Lieutenant Daniel McBeth Muncie, 53rd Battery, 2nd Brigade RFA, killed in action 3rd December 1917 during the Battle of Cambrai, and

Lieut. Commander James Rae Muncie, RNR, serving with HMS Attacker, killed in Bari, Italy, 16th March 1945.

My g-uncle,

Pte. Samuel Bluestein 1st Bn. London Regt. (Royal Fusiliers). Killed at the Somme on September 15, 1916. No known grave.

My grandfather,

Sgt. Jack Bluestein RCA. Fought through France and Germany 39-45 and came out ok.

In memory of my Great Uncles Capt Alfred Levingston Aus. Light Horse Palestine 17.11.17 and Sjt Herbert Leving(s)ton Rifle Brigade Menin Gate Ypres 6.1.16 .

2 old soldiers who did not fade away but returned from Australia and Canada respectively to answer their Nation's call and paid the ultimate price. Sadly missed by their surviving Old Contemptible brothers Edward and Martin (19th Hussars/A.S.C and Royal Sussex respectively). Truly a family at war and proudly remembered.

In memory of my Great Uncle, Private 54344 Albert Edward Puckett, "C" Company, 9th (Service) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Killed by enemy shellfire whilst in bivouac at Ovillers Post, Somme, October 1916. Buried Blighty Valley Cemetery, Authuile Wood, Somme, France. Aged 21 years.

Remember....

"The Life that I have

Is all that I have

And the life that I have

Is yours

The love that I have

Of the life that I have

Is yours and yours and yours

A sleep I shall have

A rest I have

Yet death will be but a pause

For the peace of my years

In the long green grass

Will be yours and yours and yours"

In memory of

Stoker 1st class Henry Joseph GOUGH 8292 (RN 204767) HMA Submarine AE1, Royal Australian Navy who died on 14 September 1914, Age 31.

Private Ernest Samuel LAWTON 2219 1/4th Bn., Seaforth Highlanders who was killed in action on 9 May 1915, Age 19.

Private John LAWTON 37666 64th Company, Machine Gun Corps (Inf) who died of wounds on 14 September 1917, Age 29.

Sergeant Nathan GREEN L/12854 3rd Bn., Middlesex Regiment who was killed in action on 6 April 1918, Age 31.

Gunner Arthur Walter HUNT 151091 "D" Bty. 150th Bde., Royal Field Artillery who was killed in action on 25 June 1918, Age 19.

Remembering all those who died in all conflicts...................

Remembering Sergeant Albert George Edward Mount, Flight Engineer, 115 Squadron, Royal air Force Volunteer Reserve, Died 8th June 1944, Aged 19. My beloved Helen's uncle who now rests in a lovely village in France about 35 miles west of Paris with the rest of his crew