Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Carmania

johnyC

Hi guys,

I've had loads of luck and help on this forum already tracing the resting place of my great uncle Angus, here goes for my great uncle Kenneth:

Surname McLEOD

Firstname Kenneth John

Service Number 5348 A.

Date Death 14/09/1914

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll THE ROYAL NAVY

Rank Seaman

Theatre of death R.N.R. H.M.S. "CARMANIA".

Kenneth John was my granny's brother from 7b Ranish, Lochs, Isle of Lewis. The above details are from the Scottish war memorial in Edinburgh, I can't find any medal card for him on the NA but he must have been awarded something. I've checked up the history of the engagement with the Cap Trafalger in which he was one of only nine killed, I presume they were buried at sea but there is no record of him on cwgc. Any naval experts know any more?

Johny,

A total of 10 men died in the action, 6 immediately and 4 subsequently from wounds received. Your relative was one of the former.

MCLEOD KENNETH J, SEAMAN, RNR A 5348 CARMANIA, died14/09/2014, SURFACE ACTION

Best wishes

David

Johny,

Your relative is commemmorated on the Chatham Memorial:

McLEOD, Seaman, KENNETH JOHN, 5348A. H.M.S. "Carmania.". Royal Naval Reserve. Killed in action with "Cap Trafalgar" in S. Atlantic 14th September 1914. Age 19. Son of Colin and Catherine McLeod, of 7, Ranish, Lochs, Stornoway. 8.

I don't know what the number 8 at the end indicates.

Best wishes

David

I thought you used to be able to see Chatham Naval Memorial online & examine each panel.

This was a couple of years ago or so.

Can't find the site now.

Kath.

He is listed by CWGC as David indicated.

Name: McLEOD, KENNETH JOHN

Initials: K J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Reserve

Unit Text: H.M.S. "Carmania."

Date of Death: 14/09/1914

Service No: 5348A

Additional information: Son of Colin and Catherine McLeod, of 7, Ranish, Lochs, Stornoway.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 8.

Memorial: CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Thanks everyone for your replies and enquiries on my behalf. I now have all the information I needed about my three great uncles who were lost in the great war and my grandfather who survived it.

From links provided by 'Grandson Michael' I read all the war diaries of 'Lord Strathcona's Horse'. I can remember my grandfather when I was on summer holidays as a child in Lewis. A quiet, gentle, man he was. Smoking his pipe, feeding the hens and fetching water from the well. I then read accounts of the Strathcona's charging the enemy lines with sabres drawn into enemy machine gun fire. I was so proud I wept.

I found that my great uncle Angus fought and died in the battle at St Julien, I can now go there to the Seaforth cemetery and pay my respects.

Great uncle Kenneth John, only 19 was killed in one of the first naval engagements of the war, but even more tragic was my great uncle Allan who survived the war only to drown on his own doorstep, his body was never found. I have already been to the shore near Stornoway where the Iolaire ran into the rocks, now thanks to your help I can go to Chatham to pay my respects to them both. Thankyou all again.

I can't find any medal card for him on the NA but he must have been awarded something.

The medal cards are mostly for the Army only. His medal would be 1914/15 Star trio, but you can confirm that on the medal roll, at Kew, which is probably ADM 171/123. The copies of his service cards will be in BT 377/7 also at Kew.

Per Mare