Name: PERCIVAL, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M.S. Humber

Date of Death: 09/07/1915

Service No: 341063

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Naval. 19. 975.

Cemetery: GILLINGHAM (WOODLANDS) CEMETERY

Chris

David

my thanks

Chris

Chris,

Armoured Gunboat

HUMBER 1260 tons.

• Dimensions : 261 (p.p.), 266 (o.a.) x 49 x 5.66 feet..

• Guns: 3 - 6 inch, 2 - 4.7 inch howitzers, 4 - 3 pdr., 1 - 3 pdr. AA.

• Armour: 2" sides, " Barbette, " C.T. Upper deck is protective.

• H.P. 1450 = 12 kts. Boilers: Yarrow. Coal : 187 tons + 90 tons oil fuel.

General Notes: - Brazilian River Monitor Javary. Purchased 1911. 1 - 6 inch gun (salved from old wrecked Montagu) was added, mounted on quarter deck. Purchased for British Navy on outbreak of war, Designed for service on the Amazon, S. America, but has actually taken part in several coastal bombardments and other operations entailing long sea voyage,. Sister ships Mersey (ex Madera). Severn (ex Solimoes). on Sale List 1919.

Janes Information Group

Reagrds Charles

What is your interest in this man? I can help out with a grave photo if you like.

ps My G/Gfhtr served on the HUMBER in Chinese waters during the Boxer Rebellion - good to see mention of her, although by 1915 she was obselete 10x over.

Jonathan,

Your G. Grandfathers ship was the Gunboat Humbers predessesor, she served as the Storeship for the China Squadron built by Earles in Hull and was sold in 1907.

Regards Charles

What is your interest in this man? I can help out with a grave photo if you like.

ps My G/Gfhtr served on the HUMBER in Chinese waters during the Boxer Rebellion - good to see mention of her, although by 1915 she was obselete 10x over.

Jonathan

thanks for the answer - my interest is that I have him on the Roll of Honour medical database as I do all the other medics that buried in Gillingham Woodlands cemetery so a photo would be greatly appreciated

A;; the best

Chris

Thanks to everyone for the info

Chris

Jonathan,

Your G. Grandfathers ship was the Gunboat Humbers predessesor, she served as the Storeship for the China Squadron built by Earles in Hull and was sold in 1907.

Regards Charles

Just looked her up in the China War medal to RN, which states "HMS Humber was a destroyer of 295 tons and 194 x 19 feet. Armament consisted of 1 x 12 pdr, 5 x 6 pdr guns and two torpedo tubes. The vessle was built by Fairfield and launched on 28/12/1895. She was sold on 10/4/1912 to Ward at Briton Ferry."

105 medals issued so assume that was the ship's compliment although two medals were returned. I must have read this when I bought the book years ago but have always assumed she was the same ship that served in WW1 - so many thanks for correcting me.

thanks for the answer - my interest is that I have him on the Roll of Honour medical database as I do all the other medics that buried in Gillingham Woodlands cemetery so a photo would be greatly appreciated

Happy to do it - probably wont get the opportunity until next weekend. If you dont hear from me, please feel free to remind me.

Jon

Jonathan,

"Just looked her up in the China War medal to RN, which states "HMS Humber was a destroyer of 295 tons and 194 x 19 feet. Armament consisted of 1 x 12 pdr, 5 x 6 pdr guns and two torpedo tubes. The vessle was built by Fairfield and launched on 28/12/1895. She was sold on 10/4/1912 to Ward at Briton Ferry.""

It may be me but Ships of the Royal Navy (JJ Colledge) puts that as HMS Hunter, which served in home waters. HMS Humber was a storeship.

Regards charles

It may be me but Ships of the Royal Navy (JJ Colledge) puts that as HMS Hunter, which served in home waters. HMS Humber was a storeship.

Charles - many thanks for your further comment. Would appear Fevyer and Wilson have errorred!

Happy to do it - probably wont get the opportunity until next weekend. If you dont hear from me, please feel free to remind me.

Jon

Jonathan

thanks very much

Chris

Chris - I have the photo. If you send me your email address via PM I will forward. His wife was buried in the same grave albeit some years later.

My thanks for the link

Chris