Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service number changes

sabercro2

I have the MIC for my great-uncle Jack which reads as follows:

VASSAR, John R, Spr, R.E, 210215.

I've no problems with this, however, there is a second service number WR/261623 again for the Royal Engineers.

Questions:

1) Why the service number change when the corps remained the same? Is it likely to be due to a change in regiment/company within the RE? If so, would that be recorded on the Medal Roll?

2) Does anyone know what the WR stands for or represents?

3) Uncle Jack was entitled to the BWM and Victory Medals. Which service number should they be attributed to? I presume the latter one. Is that correct?

Many thanks

Simon

His number changed as he entered a different Branch of the RE WR is the prefix given to Railways & Water Transport Sections of The RE.

His Medals should normally carry the number he was using when first embarking O/S.

so probably the first number you give.

His Medal Index Card would indicate which by an "X" with stops between the arms,entered by the number..

Thanks for the reply. It's been very helpful. I know for a fact that he served on the Railways after the war. So it's not altogether suprising that he may have had a similar role whilst in uniform. Unfortunately, there is no 'X' on the MIC but I'll take it under advisement that Jack's campaign medals will most likely have his first serial number on them.

Thanks again.

Simon

His number changed as he entered a different Branch of the RE WR is the prefix given to Railways & Water Transport Sections of The RE.

His renumbering in this instance doesn't mean he changed to a different branch of the RE, he was probably already working in a Railway Company or as part of the R. O. D. with the 210215 number. His number change was purely down to the fact that the RE introduced the WR/ series of numbering, in early 1918 (I think) for, as you say, the Waterways and Railway sections.

Steve