Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aurel on Radio 4 !

ianw

As an early riser, I was happy to chance upon a nice programme about Ypres that featured the dulcet tones of Aurel. I don't know if it is to be repeated - not too many listeners around before "Farming Today" - but catch it if you can.

Pleased that the Radio 4 researchers found their way to our Pals and looking forward to seeing Charlotte next Wednesday and paying homage to the latest Pals media star - Charlotte, I hope the coffee will be on and the cake baking !

Pleased that the Radio 4 researchers found their way to our Pals and looking forward to seeing Charlotte next Wednesday and paying homage to the latest Pals media star - Charlotte, I hope the coffee will be on and the cake baking !

Ian,

I am extremely jealous, I love Charlotte's cake, I can never get the missus to make any even though we've got the recipe!!!

Ian: Thanks for starting this thread.

Michael: Thanks for the RealAudio Link

An informative program that both my wife and I found very informative and touching. We listened to it twice

Garth

I have just listened in to the real audio feed and enjoyed the program enormously. thanks to Charlotte and Aurel and all the others who took part.

It was very moving listening to it on Remembrance Sunday - especially the last post from the Menin Gate which brought back many memories.

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of the programme? I assume that the .ram file is only to the current programme in the series and will therefore only work for the next few days?

Michael:

Thanks for the RealAudio Link. How fantastic to be listening to Charlotte and Aurel and being 12000 miles away.

Peter ;)

Glad I could make my contribution to a programme you apparently liked.

So it was worth the cold feet after 3 hours on a misty morning last Tuesday on the Boezinge battlefield and the Langemark Cement House Cemetery.

Fortunately only cold feet, not trench feet.

Aurel

Does anyone know how to (legally) get a copy of the programme?

I am very interested in a copy as part of my virtual library

Peter

Greenwoodman,

(I know this is your nom-de-plume, but I will keep your real name a secret ;)

Was it you and a gang of British visitors who assaulted our Yourshire Trench last Tuesday at approx. 9.30 am, causing me and presenter Helen to withdraw to a quieter corner in the trench, asked to do so by sound man Benjamin ??!! :angry:

(Actually we were kind of relieved when we heard that the language of the attackers was English, not German ...)

Serious ... Yes, we were there from approx. 9.10 to 10.30 am, and then went to Cement House Cemetery (Langemark) accompanied by Rev. Ray Jones, of St George Memorial Church Ypres, who conducts the services there when British remains are reburied.

Aurel

Charlotte, but not Aurel have made it into Radio 4's "Pick of the week".

Poor Aurel!,

Still, he's on kissing duty (or did I mean Jacky) when Cynthia arrives in Belgium!!!!

Small world, Aurel. Yes, it was me and friends on the college battlefield tour. From there we went to Vijfwegen? for the gas attack, and then to Essen/Krupp Farm (thanks to you) for Barratt's VC! Thanks again for your help, and sorry we were so noisy. It was really strange to come upon these three heads in the trench, one of which was wearing headphones!! (Listening for digging?) :D

• 2 weeks later...

A big thankyou to Andy for sending me a CD with the recording on and Clive for the recording program link. Also thanks to Aurel for his offer.

What a terrific bunch of friends on the Forum.

Humble Thanks

Peter ;)