Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ghosts of the C.E.F at the brooding soldier memorial

Soren

Good sketch Soren, I too liked the inclusion of the lads sitting on the wall.

Terry. W

Hi Soren

It touches me, very, very much. Like a "kick in the guts", yet it has a tinge of humour, the concept of gosts, milling around the monument in their honour, sitting on it... Wonderful.

And I am sure the other CEFSG fellows will be equaly appreciative.

Thanks

Pascal

Dear Soren,

For years my wife has particularly felt for the Brooding Soldier.

I saw your sketch, printed off a copy, and showed it to her.

I hope you don't mind, but she has grabbed it, framed it, and it is now on the dining room wall!

Bruce

Dear Soren,

For years my wife has particularly felt for the Brooding Soldier.

I saw your sketch, printed off a copy, and showed it to her.

I hope you don't mind, but she has grabbed it, framed it, and it is now on the dining room wall!

Bruce

Well, I doth my cap to the good Mrs Bruce and congratulate her on the excellent taste she obviously has!!!

Soren.

Another excellent sketch. Funny as it may seem on the many nights I have stood at the Menin Gate I have always had the feeling that the 'Lads' were there looking on. Where do you get your inspiration from?

Terry W.

The “Brooding Soldier” by Frederick Chapman Clemesha

St. Julien Memorial

Visible for several miles from its site beside the main road from Ypres to Bruges, the impressive Canadian Memorial at St. Julien stands like a sentinel over those who died during the heroic stand of Canadians during the first gas attacks of the First World War.

It is one of the most striking of all the battlefield memorials on the Western Front. Rising almost 11 metres from a stone-flagged court, "The Brooding Soldier" surmounts a single shaft of granite - the bowed head and shoulders of a Canadian soldier with folded hands resting on arms reversed. The expression on the face beneath the steel helmet is resolute yet sympathetic, as though its owner meditates on the battle in which his comrades displayed such great valour. The statue is set in the middle of a garden surrounded by tall cedars, which are kept trimmed to perfect cones to match and complement the towering granite shaft.

The designer of the monument was a Regina architect, Frederick Chapman Clemesha, who was wounded while serving with the Canadian Corps during the war. The stone for the shaft was cut in quarries of the Vosges and the surmounting bust was carved in Brussels.

The St. Julien Memorial was unveiled on July 8, 1923, by HRH the Duke of Connaught. Among the many veterans who were present was the former Commander-in-Chief of the Allied Armies, Marshal Ferdinand Foch. Speaking in tribute to those whom the Memorial honoured, Marshal Foch said: "The Canadians paid heavily for their sacrifice and the corner of earth on which this Memorial of gratitude and piety rises has been bathed in their blood. They wrote here the first page in that Book of Glory which is the history of their participation in the war."

The inscription on the Memorial recalls the Canadian participation in the Second Battle of Ypres:

THIS COLUMN MARKS THE BATTLEFIELD WHERE 18,000 CANADIANS ON THE BRITISH LEFT WITHSTOOD THE FIRST GERMAN GAS ATTACKS THE 22ND-24TH OF APRIL 1915. 2,000 FELL AND HERE LIE BURIED

Frederick Chapman Clemesha

Attestation Papers of Lt. Clemensha, Camp Hughes, 1915, 46 th Battalion CEF

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/ren2/025046a.gif

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/ren2/025046b.gif

There is a soldier I sneaked in that no one has noticed....... can anyone see him? he should'nt really be there!!!!!

Soren

Is there a bloke in a solar helmet and shorts about third from the right?

Gareth

Great sketches, Soren.

One feels they must have meetings every then and now and swap old stories, those who fell there and those who died later, and have come back for a visit.

Except for a few of them still in this world, one feels now they are all meeting at the old places as you picture them.

Gloria

Soren

Is there a bloke in a solar helmet and shorts about third from the right?

Gareth

well done, a Lewis gunner from Gallipoli, meant to be a Lancashire Fusilier, who has come to see his brother who is syood to his right....

Thanks Gloria by the way

• spof changed the title to Ghosts of the C.E.F at the brooding soldier memorial