Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Review of some Great War books

zijde26

To All,

The French newspaper "Le Monde" of 7-11-2003 reviews some books dealing with subjects relating with WW1.

This page also mentions :

- 'Military Executionsduring World War I' written by Gerard Oram

- 'The First World War. vol 1:To Arms' by Hew Strachan. Is this book a part of a series ?

Gilbert Deraedt :(

It may help to be aware that Huw Strachan is authoring a three volume history of the war (of which "To Arms" is the first volume as well as "The First World War" - a single volume to accompany the Channel 4 series being broadcast in the UK at present.

Martin

Hope I'm not straying off the topic here, but I'd like to know what others think of current Channel 4 Great War series. Brilliant or cheesy? Perhaps they should have waited until all three vols of Hew Strachan's books were written and done a more thorough job. But what do I know (mutterings from the lower ranks)?

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the last episode. I liked it, it didn't contain the usual all out battle coverage so it was refreshing to review the social, economical and political aspects.

The first volume of Hew Strachan's set is published in paperback next march so might be worth hanging on instead of paying £30. I guess the next one might then be out mid summer perhaps in time for 90th Ann.? More info as and when I get some.

Ryan

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if the second volume of 'The First World War: To Arms' written by Hew Strachan is already on the market ?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

The First World War - Volume I: To Arms

ISBN 0199261911

£17.99 Paperback

This came out in 2003.

For 2004 there is a mini-series based on this monumental tome!

The Outbreak of the First World War 0199257264 £8.99

Financing the First World War 0199257272 £8.99

The First World War in Africa 0199257280 £8.99

All out in September/Oct 2004.

I understand that these are based on key sections of Vol.1 and have new introductions.

No news I'm afraid on an illusive vol.2 which is probably why these are out in the meantime.

Ryan