Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with American Acronym Soup

4thGordons

I am trying to identify this unit (taken from the return address on a letter sent back to the US in 1918/19)

The owner (a lady in her 80s) thought her father (the sender) was involved with aircraft, although she could not be sure. I have traced his enlistment card and originally he served in a Field Artillery regiment but at later date this notation showed up.

Sgt Trotter, Co 12 1st ASM Regiment A.E.F.

I have found several refs to ASM Regiment in Roll of Honour "mini-biographies" here in the US but have not been able to identify the meaning of the acroynm. Any help appreciated.

I am posting here rather than units and formations because several of the refs I found were in the folowing form, with specific ref to Air Service (is this the AS in ASM? m= maintenance? mechanical? mobile?) - eg: Air Service 20th Co. 2nd Regiment A.S.M.

Thanks

Chris

Armored Scout Mission looks good.

Hywyn

Hello Hywyn

Thanks - went through these but still remain unconvinced! As you say "Armored Scout Mission" is one of the few that appears possible but it seems an unlikely title for a type of regiment - a quck googling of it reveals references only in the context of AFV (armoured fighting vehicle tank and armoured car) reconnaisance and all very much more recent (contemporary in fact)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I actually found out the answer to this and had it confirmed under another thread (units and formations)

It is Air Service Maintenance Regiment.

Although most of the divisions that were sent over with the AEF were based on Nat Guard units (like my local one the 33rd Prairie Division) I believe ASM regiments were formed during the war (along with the fledgling army air service)

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Found this, which looks as though it could fit:

**** ASM = Aircraft Structural Maintenance

It is only the result of looking up the acronym and does not come from any knowledge of American Units nthe Great War, so could be wrong.