Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prest Brothers 1/5th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment.

kaisersoffensive

Hello All,

I should be grateful for any assistance with the following;

I have two brothers casualty pairs and plaques to Prest brothers. Pte 54488 John Prest 1st/5th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment.and Pte Pte 54486 Richard Prest 1st/5th Bn West Yorks. Reg. Sons of Elizabeth and William Prest,of 72,Sunderland St.,Houghton-le Spring,CoDurham.

Richard is listed as killed with the 1st Bn. Ryl.Innis. Fus as Pte 42159 (medals named and numbered as above to West Yorks)

My mind being what it is, I had this image of the two brothers standing in the same line,enlisting together with quite possibly another brotherhaving the no 54487.When I tried to list just this No in the MIC freeview search I got no Prests.

Bang goes that little leap of imagination.

However I did a 1901 census search and found that the family contained 3 other Prest sons who could have been eligible for WW1 service.Robert,Edward and William.By chance I got a War medal on e-bay recently to Robert J Prest Durh.L.I. so I was hoping he might be part of the family.Apparently he isn't.They were all residing in Ouston in 1901.Census gives no middle christian names for any of the brothers.There is a Robert Prest listed in MIC cards in the West Yorks but don't know how I can definitely link him to this family.Service papers with next of kin details would of course.Maybe the local papers of the time might have some information.

Thank you for any help.

Bob Norman

Bob

Go back to the National Archives site, type in West Yorkshire Regiment in the corps box and enter his number in the next box you will bring up John's MIC

Peter

Hello All,

I should be grateful for any assistance with the following;

I have two brothers casualty pairs and plaques to Prest brothers. Pte 54488 John Prest 1st/5th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment.and Pte Pte 54486 Richard Prest 1st/5th Bn West Yorks. Reg. Sons of Elizabeth and William Prest,of 72,Sunderland St.,Houghton-le Spring,CoDurham.

Richard is listed as killed with the 1st Bn. Ryl.Innis. Fus as Pte 42159 (medals named and numbered as above to West Yorks)

My mind being what it is, I had this image of the two brothers standing in the same line,enlisting together with quite possibly another brotherhaving the no 54487.When I tried to list just this No in the MIC freeview search I got no Prests.

Bang goes that little leap of imagination.

However I did a 1901 census search and found that the family contained 3 other Prest sons who could have been eligible for WW1 service.Robert,Edward and William.By chance I got a War medal on e-bay recently to Robert J Prest Durh.L.I. so I was hoping he might be part of the family.Apparently he isn't.They were all residing in Ouston in 1901.Census gives no middle christian names for any of the brothers.There is a Robert Prest listed in MIC cards in the West Yorks but don't know how I can definitely link him to this family.Service papers with next of kin details would of course.Maybe the local papers of the time might have some information.

Thank you for any help.

Bob Norman

Bob

I have found Richard's MIC by typing in his num ber 42159 you will find him on page 2 of the listings

Peter

Bob, the casualty list in Wyrall's 'The West Yorkshire Regiment in The Great War' shows 54488 Pte. John Prest, kia 25/4/18.

Keith

Bob

I have found Richard's MIC by typing in his num ber 42159 you will find him on page 2 of the listings

Peter

Hello

Many thanks for your help,

Bob