Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Rob Roy R Class Destroyer

Guest cannon

Can anyone give me information on the above destroyer, her service,whare I could locate her log ect.

my grandfather James Buchan served an board her from 1916/1918 any information would be helpfull

dave buchan..

Dave

Ships logs for HMS Rob Roy (G92) are in the National Archives. I found 13 logs,each covering 2 months activity,from ADM53/58133 (Dec 16/Jan 17) to ADM53/58145 (Dec18 to Jan19).

There is a pic of the ship (from 1916) on:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

If you then add: /old_r_class_1916.htm you will get a list of R vessels !

I kept the 2 pieces seperate because this site underlines website references and the full detail at old_r_ class_ is lost to the correspondent !!

Best wishes

Sotonmate

See Here for info:~HMS Rob Roy

[You may have to delete "Naval~Art" pop up & scroll down R Class Destroyers;"Click" on HMS Rob Roy for Picture.]

Dave

Ships logs for HMS Rob Roy (G92) are in the National Archives. I found 13 logs,each covering 2 months activity,from ADM53/58133 (Dec 16/Jan 17) to ADM53/58145 (Dec18 to Jan19).

There is a pic of the ship (from 1916) on:

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk

If you then add: /old_r_class_1916.htm you will get a list of R vessels !

I kept the 2 pieces seperate because this site underlines website references and the full detail at old_r_ class_ is lost to the correspondent !!

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for the information Sotonmate, this will put some flesh on the bones of my searching

dave..

See Here for info:~HMS Rob Roy

[You may have to delete "Naval~Art" pop up & scroll down R Class Destroyers;"Click" on HMS Rob Roy for Picture.]

harry many thanks for the Image of hms Rob Roy

Dave.

• 17 years later...

A little late for this topic but others might be interested in a ship's badge from HMS Rob Roy.  I bought it in a second hand shop near Rickmansworth in 1974.

It is cast in brass, mounted on a square 19cm wooden plinth, fixed with three brass screws. The plinth was originally varnished but in bad condition and removed. There are no markings on the back of the plinth or the casting.

A nice example of a ship's badge before standardisation.

IMG20231030181550.jpg

IMG20231030181609.jpg

Thank you for the link, KizmeRD!

That badge looks as if it is either enamelled or been repainted recently.  Mine had no trace of painting and l added the black to the motto lettering. Also there is no indication of screw heads from their image.

I think the auctioneer's description was a little misleading about the tompion being from the forward gun mounting. The raised platform was fitted to allow a better field of fire from the after mounting. 

The price paid was quite a surprise!

The motto wording comes from Clan Gregor and apparently they were the words spoken to Malcolm McGregor by the King after being confronted by a wild boar during a hunting trip.

MB