Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S. Ava

Tonym

I have a lady Mercantile Marine) commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial - Stewardess Agnes Hird, S.S.Ava (Glasgow) who died 26th January 1917. Does this suggest that the ship was involved in enemy action - (Sunk or damaged)?

The only S.S. Ava's that I have found on Google are 19th century ships. Any info please?

Tony

Hi Tony

The Steamship "Ava" 5,076 tons, build 1906 for British & Burmese S.N. Co. & Burmah S.S. Co. left Liverpool for Dakar and Ragoon on January 26th. 1917 with coal and general cargo, but was not seen again. She was presumed to have been sunk by a submarine. She had a crew of 92 including the captain.

Regards

Joern

JOERN & Dave

Thanks for that. At least I can add a sensible comment to her profile now.

I even tried "My Assistant" on GWF but it appears that SS.Ava has never been posted before. Anyway my appreciation for your time

Tony

The Ava was sunk by the German submarine U 45 by torpedo SW from Ireland, Atlantic Ocean. She was owned by Henderson, P. & Co of Glasgow and managed by British & Burmese Steam Navigation Co Ltd.

Best wishes

David

Hi all,

attribution to U 45 is wrong, all her ships during cruise jan-feb 1917 accounted for.

So far I was not able to "find" an U-boat which might be responsible for AVA's loss, maybe Michael has an idea?

Oliver

Thanks LORSCHER

Fortunately I have not started writing up the profile yet. See what else may come up but I may well stick with U45.

Cheers Tony