Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Record

aussieted

I have only just found your site and registered and am amazed with the feedback some of you guys can supply. I hope you can assist me. My father was a very proud man but never spoke of his early years.

I am the last surviving child of my father Francis Henry Edwin Perry Born Plymouth Devon 22 June 1897

I live in Australia and am attempting to collate records, medals, photos for my children & grandchildren. I myself spent 6 Years in the Australian Regular Army 55/61 & records I found indicated my Dad was in army service WW2 in Australia with a Rank of Corporal from Feb 42 to Feb 45. It had been suggested many years ago my dad was in Royal Navy & skipped ship which I did not know about. I eventually found a photo of him & family all in navy uniforms possibly taken around 1912(unfortunately none had hats on so don't know ships) I then managed to search UK National archives ww1 & found an official number J21677. I now have a record sheet that I find hard to understand eg:starting age seems to contradict, which were land bases or ships, what medals he should have got, was he on ship in battle of Jutland, did he run once or twice(should I be proud or ashamed) I have tried to attach his record found in ADM 188/690 Reference 177/177 but the original pdf file was over the allowed attachment limit so I have scanned and attached in lower pdf format. Any help and explanation would be appreciated

Ted Perry

ser.pdf

Ted,

Welcome to the forum,

The record is not to easy to read but he was an Able Seaman Gunner, I cannot work out what ships but the ships genrally will be the ones in brackets as Dilligence and woolwich where depot ships. He was discharged Run in 1920 and by the looks not caught and returned to the navy.

Im not sure ashamed would come into the equation In mine it certainly would not, he served through Two world wars.

If you can move this thread to Topic Ships and Navy's you will get more intrest.

Regards Charles

Ted,

Welcome to the forum,

The record is not to easy to read but he was an Able Seaman Gunner, I cannot work out what ships but the ships genrally will be the ones in brackets as Dilligence and woolwich where depot ships. He was discharged Run in 1920 and by the looks not caught and returned to the navy.

Im not sure ashamed would come into the equation In mine it certainly would not, he served through Two world wars.

If you can move this thread to Topic Ships and Navy's you will get more intrest.

Regards Charles

Hi Charles

Thanks for your response. Since I posted this today my computer has failed with all data .

I am now on my old computer but unable today to be able to re post & attach the file.

I don't know if there is any way of moveing my thread to the other part without re doing it all?

Regards

Ted Perry

Ted, It is very difficult to read the .pdf document but my tired old eyes have him serving in HMS PRESIDENT IIa (a shore base) at the time of Jutland. He appears to have only 'Run' once from HMS CAIRO in 1920. If he had deserted before (and been recovered) his VG conduct would certainly have been broken - it was not. What is the problem you have with his age on joining? His service started on 3 Dec 1912 whe he was 15 and a few months old. Are you aware that his original enlistment papers are in the archive at the Fleet Air Arm Museum? As he was a youngster on joining, he would have had to give parental permission and those papers should also be at the FAAM. If you could link us to a better image, we might get more out of the document.