Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

books from pals.

j.r.f

PALS .

I have noticed a string which goes through many threads.There are out there lots of pals who are in the process of writing books,is it posible CHRIS THAT WE MIGHT CONSIDER A SECTION THAT IS ABOUT PALS BOOKS,sorry for the capitals but I have beenon the cider again.Neverthe less I think his is a good idea in that it will encourage people to produce books if they know that there is a public out there willing to buy them.I thihk this would warant a different page from the present book review .

Ive made my point might be worth a consideration.

CHEERS.

JOHN :blink:

As one of the Baker Pals to kick start your thread I thought I would let you know of a book, written and researched by Roger Dowson and myself (Neil Drum), that you may find of interest:

'God's Own' 1st Salford Pals 1914-1916.

An account of the 15th (Service) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers -

The book covers the formation of this Battalion in Salford in 1914, training in the UK, its time in the trenches in France from November 1915 and into 1916, preparations for the Somme offensive, and then covers it's virtual destruction attacking Thiepval on July 1st 1916, the first day of the Battle of the Somme. It is crammed with information, as well as photographs and some maps and is very reasonably priced at only £5.75 plus p&p (UK £7.25 incP&P). A4 size, card cover, 83 pages. It also contains a comprehensive A-Z roll with biographical information (including photo's of many listed) on those who served, captured, casualties, gallantry winners etc.

Please email me if you would like to order copies or for further information about the book. Many thanks Neil.

Reviews of the book can be found at:

http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/rev...salfordpals.htm

http://www.geocities.com/fusilier_de/review.html

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/book_reviews.htm

There was a thread on this topic in Aug 2003 in the Chit -Chat section.

Have a look at "Books, articles at present underway" started on 6 August by christine liava'a

Hi folks,

this is a wonderful site and forum you have here. I can see that I'm in the right place to quench my increasing thirst for knowledge about the Great War!

I am at the beginning of a project, with long term aspirations to turn it into a book: a history of 1/5 Bn South Lancs Regiment, from formation to 1918. My Great Great Grandfather served and died with the battalion, and there is (as far as I know) no detailed treatment of the subject: a couple of regimental histories (Mullaly & Whalley-Kenny) and a Divisional history (55th Div, Rev Coop).

The battalion was one of the very many with an 'unremarkable' history - until its almost total destruction on 30th Nov 1917, at the start of the German counter offensive at Cambrai.

Although (in part) I write for a living, I have never attempted a serious piece of historical work since my undergraduate days. My interest has never faded, and a couple of trips to the battlefields (including to my Great Grandfather's grave) have inspired me to tackle it.

Right now I am beginning to identify the relevant primary sources, and struggling not to be distracted by the endless amounts of unrelated, yet interesting, material in the local archives.

I apologise in advance for my questions, which are bound to follow in the months ahead! I look forward to learning from your collective experience.

Best regards,

Ste Lingard

www.1jma.dk