Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt RONALD STONEHOUSE RAF

auchonvillerssomme

Can anyone give me any information on the circumstances of this mans death?

Lt RONALD STONEHOUSE RAF

101st Sqdn.

Date of Death: 01/04/1918

Mick

Mick

Lt Ronald Stonehouse, an observer, formerly Army Service Corps, and AMII Leslie George William Carter (16237) of No 101 Sqn RAF were killed by enemy bombing during an air raid on Haute Vissée aerodrome on 1 April 1918.

No 101 Sqn was a night bombing unit equipped with the FE 2b, and was based at Haute Vissée from 25 March to 7 April 1918.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Yes that helps...the reason I ask is that there is a plaque dedicated to him in the Clayton Hospital Nurses Hostel. The buildings are being sold by the trust. We are trying to find out what will happen to the plaque.

THE SITE OF THIS NURSES HOME

WAS PRESENTED BY

SIR EDMUND & LADY STONEHOUSE

IN MEMORY OF THEIR SON

LIEUT. RONALD STONEHOUSE R.A.F.

KILLED IN ACTION IN FRANCE

1 APRIL 1918

Mick

• 2 months later...

This might be asking a lot...but does anyone have a picture of Lt Ronald Stonehouse RAF.

Mick

For more information on 101sqdr check "Bomber Squadron at War" by Andrew Brookes. (Ian Allen)

It follows the squadron from formation through WWI and WWII and has quite a bit of information.

I bought it for Christmas when it first came out - for my late grandad who flew Wellingtons with 101 in WWII - it was fantastic because he unwrapped it and there, on the back cover was a large group photo with his face slap bang in the middle!

I have just skimmed the chapter on WWI

There are pictures of

Captain Vickers (later awarded MC)

Lieutenant Baskers

All the officers (but unamed) at Catigny in March 1918 - it is likely Stonehouse is in this group I suppose

Lieutenant S.Golding

lots of other officers are mentioned in the text and there is a short account of the bombing raid of 1/4/18 which notes the german bombers apparently followed the FE2bs in "killing one officer, two men wounding two others and wrecking four aeroplanes" (p12)

Chris