Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinking of the Donegal - 17 April 1917

Tom A McCluskey

Hi all,

Does anyone have a list of the sailors and soldiers that went down with the [possibly HMT] Donegal on the 17th September 1917? It may have been carrying Sgt Alexander James McGilchrist of the 6th Bn The Black Watch, who I think is remembered on the Hollybrook Memorial Southampton.

Any assistance with this is much appreciated, and thanks in advance ;) .

Aye

Tom McC

Tom

I shall take a look in the Southampton Special Collections Library as there is a good collection of books on such subjects.

The Donegal was a Hospital Ship in WW1,having been built as a passenger liner in 1904.

Almost sunk in March 1917,she was then sunk by U Boat on 11 April 1917,19 miles south of the Dean Light Vessel in the English Channel. Losses were 11 crew and 29 soldiers.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Donegal was NOT a hospital ship, but rather an armed vessel used to carry wounded back across the Channel. The common term is “ambulance transport.” She was sunk by UC 21 under the command of future Pour Le Mérite winner Oblt.z.S. Reinhold Saltzwedel. The correct date of the sinking is April 17, 1917.

Best wishes,

Michael

The following thread maybe of interest.

Is it Sgt. James M'Gilchrist Alexander, 6th R.Highrs. you're interested in?

Derek

Derek,

Yes you are absolutely right ;) , I have amended the entry, and thanks very much for the interesting link [erratum - 17 Apr 1917]. He is the man I was after.

Many thanks to you all so far.

Aye

Tom McC

Tom,

The Donegal, built 1904, 1,855 grt, a hospital transport or ambulance transport as Michael says, was sunk on 17th April 1917 by torpedo from German submarine UC 21 19 miles S from Dean Lightship, in position 50 26N, 1 00W. She was on voyaging from Le Havre to Southampton and was owned by the Midland Railway Co - Derby.

She was chartered by the Admiralty, and therefore was not HMS or T. According to Hocking "Disaster at Sea" 29 wounded troops lost their lives in the sinking.

The one sailor that died was PETER MACFADYEN a LOWER DECK HAND, RNR, service number S D 2034.