Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poland 1915 - Telephone unit

Cnock

Again-astonishing pictures! I appreciate all your efforts you do for this so very small German warfare interested community in this forum

Guest Bill Woerlee

Cnock

G'day mate

Once again I am fascinated by the depth of the pix in explaining the personal life of the individual as he begins his journey. It is just a wonderful window into this fellow's life and those of his comrades. Thanks very much for the time and effort you have put into presenting them and sharing the pix with us. I really appreciate the effort.

Cheers

Bill

Egbert and Bill,

Thanks for the appreciation!

Regards,

Cnock

Guest Bill Woerlee

Cnock

G'day mate

The pix at Post #25 actually looks like a group of mates getting together for a jug band jam. The fellow with the pole in hand looks like he is warming up on a one string tea case base, the fellow with the respirator looks like he is playing the jug, the fellow with the stop watch looks like he is holding a bottle of wine appears to be the clown character - just like Cletus the slack jawed yokel - while the fellow looking on appears as though he is holding a lagarphone in his hand. It is difficult to picture that they are actually holding parts of the mechanism of death. The lads look healthy and full of life and just about to enjoy a gig.

Cheers

Bill

Hello,

Second from left (holding the rifle) is the man of post nr.1

Regards,

Cnock

Error, correction :

Pionier Rgt 36 was in action at the Eastern Front in May 1915, AFTER the 1st gas attack at Ypres.

Cnock

Second from left (holding the rifle) is the man of post nr.1

I'm wondering why he has his bayonet fixed when they wouldn't have routinely had them in the trenches like that (?)

I agree with the excellent observation that it seems to be a small orchestra - the chap on the left playing the double bass....using a rocket (Tchaikovsky's 1812 perhaps? :) )

Mark

Hello Mark, I think that the chap with the bayonet fixed is acting as a drum major, or something like that.

Regards,

Cnock

Excellent photos, nice to see something a little different. Thanks for posting them

Arm

• 3 years later...

Hello Cnock, can you contact me on email sturmangriff@wp.pl regarding the photos ?

I'm writing a thesis , concerning gas attacks in Poland 1915 and gas regiment 36, I think you could help me a little bit :)

Sturmangriff

Königliche Preussiche Fernsprech (telephone) Abteilung H (Haber)

patch on the left arm 'H'

he wears the Garde-Litzen because he had his formation at the Garde Telegraphen Bataillon I (Treptow)

attached to Pionier Bataillon 36

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering why he has his bayonet fixed when they wouldn't have routinely had them in the trenches like that (?)

I agree with the excellent observation that it seems to be a small orchestra - the chap on the left playing the double bass....using a rocket (Tchaikovsky's 1812 perhaps? :) )

Mark

Look at the length of the bayonet. Perhaps it is a Russian rifle. I had read earlier that telegraph troops wore the Jaeger helmet.

Bob Lembke

Well, this is regular Mauser'98 rifle , with regular s98 bayonet. Rifle and bayo looks dirty and muddy - probably picked up from battlefield.

Look at the length of the bayonet. Perhaps it is a Russian rifle. I had read earlier that telegraph troops wore the Jaeger helmet.

Bob Lembke