Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal index cards

martin hartshorne

Is there anyway that i can find the place of birth or where a soldier enlisted or his age from the Medal index cards.

Many thanks

Not from the Index Cards,directly,however if his Service Papers survive,they would carry such details.[sadly only a % survive]

If the name is unusual,the 1901 Census could be helpful,if you consider anyone born in May 1901 or before would be @ least 14 by 1914,so you can restrict a census research to Males of Soldierly age by 1914~18.

If discharged & a SWB was granted the Rolls for these sometime {not always} give age on discharge.

Thanks for that Harry. There are 2 people of the name edwin hartshorne. One would have been guy in wolverhampton would have been 43. my gg grandad in wakefield would have been 40 in 1914. The medal card lists him as been in the RFA then the labour corps. However in the absentee voters list 1918 he was listed as KOYLI. There is no record of any other Edwin hartshorne though. Can you make sense of this Harry.

Many thanks martin

There is an Edward Hartshorn in the KOYLI on the index cards,as well as a couple of E.Hartshorn{e} in various Regiments.[search Hartshorn*]

If you know the KOYLI man is definitely your Great~Grandfather,I can only speculate that he may have been posted to them after the Labour Corps & it was accidently omitted in the MiC,as it didn't alter his qualification for awards,I may have not been noticed.{or possibly it is recorded on the Rolls proper.

Thanks for the info Harry, checked the medal cards again its definetly not edward hartshorn. Im begining to think maybe the absentee list is wrong as they dont list his rank and reg no. like they have done with most of the others. Maybe they just had a guess or asked family and they got it wrong. I don t knoew how they got the info for the absentee list. It could be he was in the RFA and labour corps. Or another possibilty, if you can clear this up. If Edwin was in the KOYLI in 1918 he would have been 44 would he have already been demobbed to the labour corps at this age. Also could he have been in the KOYLI and never gone over the sea therefore i believe he wouldn t have been eligible for a medal. If so why was he the lucky one to escape the massacres.

He could have easily been in one of the Home Service,or Reserve Battalions* of the KOYLI,@ though unless of poor health he would not have necessarily been precluded from O/S Service

* 3rd {Res} Bn;

13th Res[Pioneers] Bn;

14th [Home Service] Bn;

3/4th;3/5th TF Bns;

51st [Graduated] Bn;

52nd [Graduated] Bn;

&

53rd [Young Soldier] Bn;{unlikely given his age,unless as instructor,etc;}

He wouldn't have been discharged from the Labour Corps purely on age grounds @ 44 unless he had other health,or other considerations;Men were serving Overseas @ far greater age.

He may have been classified as unfit for Frontline Service,but suitable for Home Service.

That sounds like a possibility, especially the 13th battalion since he was a coal miner. I believe they were used a lot in the pioneers.

Many thanks Harry

Martin

Soory forgot to ask. Does anyone know what SWB stands for and what it is.

Soory forgot to ask. Does anyone know what SWB stands for and what it is.

Silver War Badge - a search of this forum should be more definitive, but basically issued to soldiers discharged from further service due to wounds, illness, etc, to show they had "done their bit", despite being in civies now.

I havehttp://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?act=Msg&CODE=03&VID=in&MSID=69295

downloaded the MIC could someone decipher this for me please

This link will give up most of what you need - http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm.

The only thing missing is the symbol of the cross with four dots, which I am sure another Pal can decipher. If he was transferred to the Labour Corps because of his age he may have served before WW1. So as well as trying to find his WW1 papers you should also look in the papers of men discharged between 1900 and 1913. These are loose in a box, in alphabetical order, and will only take 20 minutes to go through.

If he was serving abroad (or in Ireland) he will not be on the 1901 census. If this is part of a family history project, you may need to use a sibling to find him. I have access to the online census if you want to post or PM me with a siblings or parents details.

Pete

This link will give up most of what you need - http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm.

The only thing missing is the symbol of the cross with four dots, which I am sure another Pal can decipher. If he was transferred to the Labour Corps because of his age he may have served before WW1. So as well as trying to find his WW1 papers you should also look in the papers of men discharged between 1900 and 1913. These are loose in a box, in alphabetical order, and will only take 20 minutes to go through.

If he was serving abroad (or in Ireland) he will not be on the 1901 census. If this is part of a family history project, you may need to use a sibling to find him. I have access to the online census if you want to post or PM me with a siblings or parents details.

Pete

Thanks Pete

He was a coal miner before ww1 in the 1901 census in between there and and 1914 i have no idea i will try to find out

Regards martin