Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help with specific Army Orders Gratefully received

kevinpargeter

Hi all, I`m very new to this, so please bear with me.

My Gt Grandfather was William Harvey (no middle initial), and he served in South Staffs Regiment. Now I know for sure he was gassed in the war, but little else. Having done a little research I`ve found two William Harveys in South Staffs. 27399 & 45634. I have mic`s for both.

The second of these is the type associated with men who were awarded SWB, which sounds promising. However, and this where you guys come in (hopefully), is the cause of discharge. This is given on the card as AO6/18 2a W

I think it means Army Order 6 section 18 para 2a wounded.

Does this seem right to you, and does anyone know where I can get a copy of the relevant Army orders.

There is no mention of other medals on the card, would he be entitled to any others even so?

As to the other William Harvey (27399), his card shows that he also served in the labour corps as (111019), and from what I can gather men who were unfit for frontline duty were sent to this unit. So you see my quandary, either one could be my Gt Grandfather.

Basically, I`m hoping that AO6/18 2a W has a reference to Gas induced injuries.

Many thanks in advance for taking the trouble to read this, and any help forthcoming.

Kev.

post-15509-1159723480.jpg

Hi Kevin

And welcome to the forum.

As for AO6/18 2a W

Army Orders No6/18=1918 para 2a.

This is A.O.6./1918: "Issue of Indian rates of pay to British Service Officers serving outside India",

2a is On substantive or temporary promotion in France or any theatre of active operations outside India, other than Mesopotamia and Aden, he will continue to draw Indian rates.

As for W?

You need to go back to the MIC & re-chick it. or post it on here. cheers Roy

I`ve posted the card, see what you guys make of it. I don`t know why the refernce to India (though I hasten to add that I belive what you say) don`t think he ever served before the war. Thanks for your help so far.

Kev.

The "W" would indicate Wounded.

Mark

I`ve posted the card, see what you guys make of it. I don`t know why the refernce to India (though I hasten to add that I belive what you say) don`t think he ever served before the war. Thanks for your help so far.

Kev.

Kevin,

Welcome to the forum,

The 1st Garrison Battalion S. Staffs R. was serving in India in 1918.

Regards Charles

I can see I may have to speak to my grandmother again, but I`m sure she would remember him having served their. Then again there is still an outside chance that my gt grandfather could be the William Harvey in the other card ie:27399