Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QMAAC query

tracy21020

I have just discovered that my great aunt was in Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.

Her name was Alice M Selmes, reg no.124 and rank Forewoman. I will get her MIC next time I go to the NA and I just wondered if there is anything else I can find out about her or what she did?

Thank you

Tracy

There are some records of service available on microfilm in the NA, so it would be worth checking when you are there. I can't remember the reference offhand, but if you ask at the desk they will give it you. I would not hold your breath: the remaining records are few and far between.

Norman

Thanks to you both for your help. Sue, thanks for checking the records. What a shame she's not there.

Tracy

Tracy

For general information there's a lot about the WAAC/QMAAC in various books - try:

Women at War 1914-1918

Arthur Marwick

and pictures in:

Working for Victory? Images of Women in the First World War 1914-1918

Diana Condell and Jean Liddiard

Both will be available through local libraries.

And the Imperial War Museum have a whole archive of items in their 'Women, War and Society' collection. If a visit to the IWMs not possible, the whole lot is normally made available online once a year when Thomson Gale give free access during 'Library Week.' This year it was the whole of April, so hopefully repeated at the same time next year.

Sue

Thanks again for your help, Sue. I'll try to get the books you recommended as i don't have any idea what she would have been doing. It will be interesting to find out some more about it.

Best wishes

Tracy