Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regimental numbers

Guest smudgethecat

Guest smudgethecat

hi all, im trying to find out as much as i can about my grandfather who fought in the great war sadly his service records have been destroyed as were so many, the only info i have on him is that which is on his medal card however he appears to have two numbers one is a six digit number the other is similiar but begins with the leter T any ideas why he might have two numbers? both relate to the royal engineers which i believe he served in throughout the war, further giver the scant info i have is it possible to try another avenue in my search? many thanks

smudgethecat,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope we can help you out. If both the numbers are definately related to the Royal Engineers, then you appear to be looking at a member of the Territorial Force, these were renumbered in 1917 with new six figure numbers, which replaced the old 1-9999 series.

If you could possibly give us both numbers we may be able to work out which engineer unit he was with.

Graham.

Guest smudgethecat
smudgethecat,

Welcome to the Forum and I hope we can help you out. If both the numbers are definately related to the Royal Engineers, then you appear to be looking at a member of the Territorial Force, these were renumbered in 1917 with new six figure numbers, which replaced the old 1-9999 series.

If you could possibly give us both numbers we may be able to work out which engineer unit he was with.

Graham.

hi graham thanks for the reply, all the info i have is , george walton, sapper, R.E, numbers 438580 and T 2862, and he was from manchester, the onlyother definate info i have was that he was training in the ripon area of yorkshire in 1915, after that its heresay, although its said he was on the somme on july 1 st 1916, thanks again

smudgethecat,

Hello again. I've had a quick look at my sources and 438580 was issued to men who served with the 1/1st; 2/1st & 3/1st Field Company's, R.E., East Lancashire Divisional Engineers. They were numbered in 1917 from 438001-440000.

Under a re-organisation these R.E.(T.F.) units were renumbered on the 3rd Feb 1917 as;-

1/1st Field Company,R.E.(T.F.) became 427th(1/1st E.Lancs)Field Coy, R.E., 42nd(East Lancs)Division.

2/1st Field Company,R.E.(T.F.) became 430th(2/1st E.Lancs)Field Coy, R.E., 66th(2nd/East Lancs)Division.

3/1st Field Company,R.E.(T.F.) may have remained unchanged as a Depot unit.

So he may have served with one of these three units.

Graham.

T. was a Territorial number prefix

and Territorial soldiers were renumbered in 1917 with numbers from 400001 upwards

438001 to 440000 would be East Lancs Field Coy ,East Lancs County.

according to the Long Long Tail TF Study Group

Mark

hi graham thanks for the reply, all the info i have is , george walton, sapper, R.E, numbers 438580 and T 2862, and he was from manchester, the onlyother definate info i have was that he was training in the ripon area of yorkshire in 1915, after that its heresay, although its said he was on the somme on july 1 st 1916, thanks again

Guest smudgethecat
T. was a Territorial number prefix

and Territorial soldiers were renumbered in 1917 with numbers from 400001 upwards

438001 to 440000 would be East Lancs Field Coy ,East Lancs County.

according to the Long Long Tail TF Study Group

Mark

thanks very much to both of you any ideas i now have a starting point cheers