Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Moore J5662 Teleg.

jaco

Hello from a new boy!

This Forum would seem to be just what I have been looking for in my struggles to interpret my uncle's service history.

I have read through the topics already covered, this resolved some of my queries, but some things are still puzzling.

1. Next to the lists of "Ships served in" are two columns, "List" and "No.". What do they mean?

2. What does "F. E" mean in the Age column?

3. There is a Rubber Stamp stating "Record transferred to CARD" as from 1 Jan 1929. What does this signify?

Thank you for your patience

Eslin

Hi Eslin welcome aboard

1. Every rating had an entry in the ships books; before the 1880s these have been preserved as the muster rolls, but not later ones.

2. I think that is First Engagement = it is the date that his adult service started from.

3. In 1929 the navy transferred all the service records to index cards, these have not been released yet. He would have then be renumbered too.

Eslin, FE is First Entry. The data (age, height,etc.) following are those taken when he first entered the service. Adult service started at age 18 and there should another entry for this start of Man's service. Otherwise as Perardua... says.

Do you have a copy of his Engagement Papers (signed on first enlistment)? They are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Eslin, FE is First Entry. The data (age, height,etc.) following are those taken when he first entered the service. Adult service started at age 18 and there should another entry for this start of Man's service. Otherwise as Perardua... says.

Do you have a copy of his Engagement Papers (signed on first enlistment)? They are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thank you for the info

I am sorry that this note has taken a few days to send

I am going to spend a little time reading thro' the site archives to try to prevent asking questions that have been settled before.

Thank you again

eslin